Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    More signs of the times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More signs of the times Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Britain's got punctuation problems.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Britain's got punctuation problems.

Sadly I fear this is not news ;(

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Another sign of the times.....

When my turn came to check-out at the local Walmart, I asked the woman cashier if they still accepted cash. The lady in line ahead of me had used a debit card which required a manager's assistance to work.

The woman grumpily said, "Of course we do," with an unspoken "stupid" tacked on.

So I took out a twenty to pay for my merchandise. She then took a pen and put an almost invisible mark on the face of my bill, obviously checking to see if it was real.

When she gave me my change, I asked politely if I could borrow her pen for a second.

"Why do you want my pen?" she asked suspiciously.

"I want to see if the bills you just gave me are counterfeit."

She threatened to call the manager and I'd had enough fun so I left.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's a sad sign of the times that Walmart exists.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, proof. Big Grin I am going to do that next time!

I did think they were being a little pedantic about the "super star" being one word, but otherwise...geez!

I found a good one in our regional nursing magazine. There was a huge headline, reporting that nursing Awards of Excellence had been announced. Here was the headline, and I am not joking: "Excelllence in Nursing"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post