Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    "Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Does anyone see anything wrong with the title of this new movie that just came out? Wink

I love Dr. Seuss. His use of words was magical, and my children and I were mesmerized by his stories.

Therefore, there is no way I could see this movie. According to the critics, they have added "burps, farts and dog pee" when they surely wouldn't have had to. They added political correctness, by including a baby sitter, apparently fearing the audience would think the mother lax if she left her kids alone. However, the worst criticism is that it includes little of his language and even less of his wit.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Does anyone see anything wrong with the title of this new movie that just came out? Wink

...er...

"Dr" doesn't need a full stop? (Well it doesn't this side of the Atlantic anyway!)

(Yes, yes, I know about the other error.)

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The rule concerning the use of the full stop (period) in abbreviations used to confuse me. However, I have now found a rule which (unlike so many rules of English) seems to have few, if any, exceptions. It is this.

If the abbreviation does not contain the final letter of the abbreviated word (company, concentrated) then it needs a full stop (Co. Conc.). If the abbreviation does contain the abbreviated word's final letter (mister, doctor) then no full stop is required (Mr Dr).

Now, just think how much ink you'll be able to save from now on by omitting the full stop from "Mr."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, the worst criticism is that it includes little of his language and even less of his wit.

A notable review of this film pointed out that there is so very little Seuss in it that the entire licensing process could have been avoided by simply (and accurately) naming the movie "Mike Meyers - A**hole in Fur."

The ads, of course, say it's wonderful...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, have you seen it? I am curious, but not enough to see it.
quote:
Ads maybe; critics no. It is getting one and a half stars.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
CJ, have you seen it?
God, no! Hell, NO!! Holy Jesus Christ on a Moped, NEGATORY!!!
quote:
Ads maybe; critics no. It is getting one and a half stars.
And quite possibly one and a quarter stars of that are simply because so much money was spent on it. From all appearances, this is the kind of movie I would only see if I were in the company of several children, all of whom I had a deep desire to punish. Remember the thread about some movies being better than the book? NOT THIS ONE!! The rumbling you hear in the distance is Dr. Seuss doing cartwheels in his grave.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
God, no! Hell, NO!! Holy Jesus Christ on a Moped, NEGATORY!!!
Well, your exclamation is a bit different from before ("Holy sweet Jesus on a Moped"), but I still love it! Big Grin

I thought negatory was another CJ coinage, but, I find that it is a word!

posted Hide Post
"Negatory" was sardonic pseudo-military radio jargon where I was.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
You're both correct. (Jeeze, I'm misquoting myself! Oh, the ravages of old age!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Please forgive this long post, but I am not able to link to it unless you all subscribe to the Chicago Tribune. I liked this take-off on "The Cat in the Hat," by Martin Kimel and with apologies to Dr. Seuss:

The Flack in the Hat
Sally and I had nothing to do.
We stared out the window.
We were bored with the view.
So we turned on the tube,
and what did we see?
The Cat in the Hat! He was
there in TV!
He was on Ch. 2!
He was on Ch. 4!
He was peddling goods in
commercials galore!
"These burgers are good for
you kids, said the cat.
"They are good for you, yes,
"Though they'll make you
grow fat.
"Have plenty of soda, potato
chips too.
"Your mother won't mind it
at all if you do."
But our fish did not like it.
Not one little bit.
He loudly complained.
He would not let it sit.
He said, "You wouldn't be
selling out all we hold dear
"If Theodor Geisel--Dr.
Seuss--were still here!"
"Look at me!" said the cat.
"Yes, it's fun to be funny.
"But in the real world, you
have to make money.
"For a reasonable fee,
"I'll pitch what you wish.
(Just get me away from that
bothersome fish.)
"I can plug Mr. Clean.
"Or push dishwater soap.
"I can sell you 10 kinds of
Jam-jigger-roo rope.
"I'll sell digital toys.
"Or girls' clothes for boys.
"Or useless devices that
make funny noise.
"But I am not through.
"No, I am not done.
"If you like, I can sell you
Thing Two or Thing One!"
Then the cat turned to pick
up a rake he had bent.
On his back was a sign read-
ing, "This space for rent."
With a tip of his hat,
The famed cat got a wave.
And he left Dr. Seuss to spin,
spin in his grave.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
The rule concerning the use of the full stop (period) in abbreviations used to confuse me. However, I have now found a rule which (unlike so many rules of English) seems to have few, if any, exceptions. It is this.

If the abbreviation does not contain the final letter of the abbreviated word (company, concentrated) then it needs a full stop (Co. Conc.). If the abbreviation does contain the abbreviated word's final letter (mister, doctor) then no full stop is required (Mr Dr).

I somehow missed this when you first posted it, R.E.

Is this actually the rule for full stop use in the U.K.? Interesting but (big surprise) not how we do things over here in the U. S. of A. I was taught that any abbreviation rates a period/full stop so that both "Mr." and "Co." would be correct. On the other hand, the feminine honorific "Ms" has no longer meaning of its own and so takes no period/full stop. Also, Harry Truman had no middle name, only an initial, and so "Harry S Truman" is correct.

Sounds logical to me.

To cross-thread a bit, I recently saw a website with a section entitled "F.A.Q's" - Is that a poke in the eye or what?!

(Excellent Dr. Seuss parody though, K.)

posted Hide Post
My reference was Michael Temple's "Guide to Written English" - now, I fear, out of print. It is a guide to UK English and it may well be that things are different in the USA. It is certainly the way we do things here.

I would like to find a reference to learn whether it is a genuine UK/US difference or just a common US error.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't have a reference but I believe it to be a genuine US/UK difference. I have certainly encountered it before.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I would like to find a reference to learn whether it is a genuine UK/US difference or just a common US error.

Once again you refuse to accept me as a reference but, the holiday season being what it is, I'll magnanimously overlook the slight.

I'll also hunt up a legitimate source (since you see me as the opposite which I, of course, deny - my parents were married long before I was born) but will probably not have time to post it until after the holidays are over.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In the headline "Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat" we see the period following the Dr abbreviation, plus the s-less possessive.

Can we assume that the apostrophe here is pronounced [z] ??

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the headline in a journal but, if it is, as has been quoted in these postings, "Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat" then it is grammatically incorrect in both the respects cited.

However, since headlines and titles are so often wrong, I fear there is little to be said on the subject.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I will be happy so to do providing, of course, that you extend the same courtesy to me.

Otherwise we shall both have to revert to lesser-known lexicographers such as Fowler and Roget.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the abbreviation does contain the abbreviated word's final letter (mister, doctor) then no full stop is required (Mr Dr).

Now, Richard (you know me, the literalist!), the way I read this quote is that the period after Dr. is not required, but certainly acceptable. Yet, you say,
quote:
I have never seen the headline in a journal but, if it is, as has been quoted in these postings, "Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat" then it is grammatically incorrect in both the respects cited.
which seems to indicate that you consider the use of the period after Dr grammatically incorrect.

In the U.S. we do use a period after Dr. and Mr. In England is the period "not required" or "grammatically incorrect?"

posted Hide Post
In UK English it is not required and is therefore grammatically incorrect. Just as the apostrophe is not required in the possessive form of it and thus "it's", too, is incorrect.

I don't know whether the US full-stop usage is now considered acceptable by most authorities or whether, like the non-standard possessive of words ending in "s", it is simply a common US mistake.

Authoritive quotes, please?

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I will look for a source, Richard. It very well could be like "boss'", in that the prevelant misuse of that apostrophe has made it seem acceptable. I can only tell you that I work a lot with work done by physicians or people with doctorates, and there is always a period after "Dr." I am looking at an article in the "Journal of Professional Nursing," as I write this; it says to "address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr. Romyn, Centre for Nursing and Health Studies, Athabasca University, Alberta Canada."

However, maybe I am a dunce....but, when someone says to me that an apostrophe or period or whatever "isn't required," to me that means that it is perfectly acceptable, just not required. Does everyone else read it like Richard does, i.e., that "not required" means that it is grammatically incorrect?

posted Hide Post
I should perhaps make it clear that the quotation about whose meaning we are arguing was my own! It was not the way that Temple had expressed it in his own work.

I meant it to mean that it was wrong to put a full-stop after an abbreviation whose final letter was the same as the abbreviated word.

My choice of the term "not required" was, perhaps, not entirely clear; my meaning, though, is as I have stated, and as Temple suggested.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I was just wondering if I was out in left field. Roll Eyes Thanks for the clarification.

Today I saw a sentence (in the local newspaper) using the possessive of Illinois, as "Illinois'." Since the "s" is not pronounced in "Illinois", it definitely needs the "s's", right? BTW, I hate it when people pronounce Illinois with the "s". Every so often you will hear that.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Had he lived, Dr. Seuss would have turned 100 yesterday.

Of course, the Mike Meyers movie would have killed him but that's another matter.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Just up on a trivia website and picked up the following semi-interesting factoid:

Dr. Seuss pronounced his name to rhyme with "rejoice." Odd...

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
On-line, taken from the campus newspaper of Dr. Seuss's alma mater, is this explanation of how his pseudonym came to be.

Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel was quite the prankster back in his Dartmouth College days. Geisel, a member of the class of 1925, spent the majority of his time at Dartmouth writing and partying.

Geisel's pseudonym, "Dr. Seuss," originated at Dartmouth after he was punished for an alcohol violation. After being caught with a bottle of gin in his room, Geisel was put on probation for violating the laws of Prohibition (and on Easter evening, no less). Geisel defended his position, however, claiming "We had a pint of gin for ten people, so that proves nobody was really drinking."

As a result, Geisel was banned from all extracurricular activities, including his role as editor in chief of the Jack-o-Lantern. Thus, in order to continue to write for the Jacko, Geisel wrote under different pseudonyms until he finally stuck with "Seuss," his middle name.

A member of the faculty at the time of Geisel's evolving pseudonym submitted the following poem to The Dartmouth:

..........You're wrong as the deuce
..........And you shouldn't rejoice
..........If you're calling him Seuss.
..........He pronounces it Soice.

Geisel attributed much of his success as a writer to his Dartmouth education. Geisel is said to have written "Green Eggs and Ham" after attending an alumni function where the food was dyed green.

[This message was edited by Hic et ubique on Mon Mar %75, 2004 at 17:50.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Excellent trivia, Hic! Really first rate.

This is just the kind of thing that so frequently gets me tossed out of bars. Can't wait to try it out!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Hic: Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel ... is said to have written "Green Eggs and Ham" after attending [a Dartmouth] alumni function where the food was dyed green.

By the way, Dartmouth's school colors are green and white, and its football team is called the "Big Green".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
CJ, thanks to your kind words I looked further today when my eye fell upon a book prominently displayed in the bookstore: The Seuss, the Whole Seuss, and nothing but the Seuss. It is wonderful, and I highly recommend that you treat yourself to a look.

But it tells that the story I gave above is not quite accurate. Ted Geisel was indeed caught hosting Easter-eve collegiate drinking, and was by that suspension as editor-in-chief of the college humor magazine, and soon used the Seuss name - but the story goes further.

Pseudonyms were nothing new to Ted. He'd used them regularly (examples: L. Burbank, L. Pasteur and D.G.Rosetti, plus a lot of nonsense ones) even as far back as high school. (Why? The book reasons that extra names blunted any appearance that, as magazine editor, he was favoring himself as contributor. My guess though is that extra names made it look like the magazine had a broader circle of contributors.)

He was suspended late in the school year, with two issues of the magazine remaining, the first of them due out very soon. In the first he used several pseudonyms (including Seuss); in the second and final every story and cartoon ran without the name of its author. If Ted was plotting to dodge his punishment, why use two separate dodges? The book concludes that by the time of the suspension the first issue had already gone to the presses (the drinking party may have been to celebrate putting the issue to bed); and that only the last issue was ducking Geisel ducking his punishment. So the "Seuss" name did not arise from the drinking incident.

Why did that particular pseudonym survive, rather than the others? Though the book doesn't comment, it notes that many other college humor magazines did cartoons in parody of Geisel's style, running them under names like Souss and Sousse. I speculate that they favored the "Seuss" pseudonym because it led to a prohibition-era pun on the word "souse", and it is that further use that made this particular pseudonym stick.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Higgledy Piggledy
Theodore Geisel was
Pseudonymiacal,
Drank himself flat.

Apotheocizedly,
Some of my favorites:
Green Eggs and Ham and The
Cat in the Hat.

Okay, okay. It is late, and I wanted to finish it. Still, I had fun! Wink

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
hic: a book prominently displayed in the bookstore: The Seuss, the Whole Seuss, and nothing but the Seuss.

Thanks, hic; it was fun. I particularly enjoyed when Seuss, despairing of poor spelling, attempted to create a good speller by crossing two animals:

....................a spelling bee, and
....................an elephant that never forgets.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Hey, can I assume you've all seen the April 2004 Playboy?

No, I don't subscribe but the father of one of my grandsons does and I'm here babysitting and, well...

Long story short, Dr. Seuss was mentioned on a list of deceased celebrities who made the most money in 2003. The good doctor was tied for fifth place with George Harrison. #4 was John Lennon, #3, J. R. R. Tolkien, #2 was Charles Schultz (creator of "Peanuts" comic strip) and Number One last year and probably most years, the King himself, Elvis.

Dead for more than two decades, Presley made more last year, $40 million, than I would see in a dozen lifetimes. Depressing...

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
A fascinating list: three English and two with no talent whatsoever.

Is Playboy really so respectable that you leave it out for your father-in-law to read?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Trying to figure the second one with "no talent whatsoever." Surely the first is Elvis.

No, you don't leave Playboy around for fathers-in-law to see!

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:
A fascinating list: three English and two with no talent whatsoever.

Is Playboy really so respectable that you leave it out for your father-in-law to read?

First off, you misread my post. The magazine belonged to the father of one of my grandsons AKA my daughter's live-in boyfriend (see new thread elsewhere) and not anyone's father-in-law.

And regarding talent, while I agree that "Peanuts" ended up being one of the lamest comic strips that trees ever gave their lives for, when it first came out in the 1950's it was amazingly fresh and innovative. The concept of children addressing adult feelings and situations (for example, the new science of psychotherapy was frequently discussed) was unheard of back then. "Peanuts," believe it or not, was the "Far Side" of its time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I give. Why Chris J. Strolin now? Did you not like your avatar and wanted to get rid of it?

CJ, I don't think either Graham or I misread your post. You were reading the magazine because it was left out, and we thought you were the father-in-law. Graham asked if "Playboy" should be left out for a father-in-law to see. While I am sure you are a cool father-in-law Cool, not all fathers-in-law are! Roll Eyes That was the point.

I figured the second was "Peanuts," but I do agree with CJ at that one. CJ, I couldn't have said it better.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, I give. Why Chris J. Strolin now? Did you not like your avatar and wanted to get rid of it?
OK, as explained elsewhere, I had to re-register onto this site under a new (improved?) name. I believe that my avatar, chosen from a rather meager offering of them available, didn't make the transition because I am now, technically, a junior member. I'll pick it back up when I can. For what it's worth, I chose it as a vaguely accurate apraisal of my own character - half man and half asapargus.

CJ, I don't think either Graham or I misread your post. _You_ were reading the magazine because it was left out, and we thought _you_ were the father-in-law. Graham asked if "Playboy" should be left out for a father-in-law to see. While I am sure you are a cool father-in-law Cool, not all fathers-in-law are! Roll Eyes That was the point.
You're totally correct, I misread his post. My apologies. "Playboy" itself, by the way, used to be cool but now is some of the shallowest trash available. The women are so enhanced breastally that, with guide-ropes attatched, they would look entirely at home in a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.