Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    World Toilet Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Toilet Day Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Be a part of the Big Squat!

I found out about WTD by stumbling upon the World Toilet Day trail ; I almost didn't believe that the day existed, so did some Googling.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it absurd that in the USA toilet paper has become euphamized into "bath tissue." Just try bathing with it! Even "toilet paper" makes little sense. Do we "faire la toilette" with it? In many cultures it's called "hygienic paper," and that seems a reasonable alternative to s**twipe.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was just about to blame the West coast for "bathroom tissue," but I forgot you've moved!

We call it "toilet paper" in the Chicago area.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"bath tissue.

I think that the manufacturers of toilet paper and other such products have a natural tendency to euphemize their products' names. There's also the legal desire to not let one's name become genericized, a la kleenex or aspirin. I mean who calls kleenex "face tissue"? Snot rag more likely, though for me that refers to the all be disappeared handkerchief. (I actually have bought them within the previous decade, but that was in India to mop my perspiring brow.) I think, in the end, we are only annoyed by other people's jargon and euphemisms and tend not to notice our own.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post