Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Shorter OED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Shorter OED Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The new edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary is out, with 2 volumes of 2,000 pages each, costing $175. Bierma discussed some of the changes in his last column. In order to shorten it, they removed:
quote:
every word that the full OED has labeled "obsolete" as of the year 1700, unless that word appears in the King James Bible or the writings of Shakespeare, Milton or Spenser. So the Shorter says goodbye to "babion" (an insult meaning "baboon," last recorded in the year 1624) and "spatch" ("kill," last seen in 1616), among other antiques.

I can understand their choice of Shakespeare and, I suppose, the King James Bible. But Milton and Spenser? Does anyone know how those a writings were chosen?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Probably because they are the writers of the time still widely read today.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote: they are the writers of the time still widely read today.

Spenser is widely read?

Perhaps he was included because (I think) he tended to use words that were antique even at the time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, do you mean in the Western world?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I phrased that badly. I meant of the writers at the time, they are the most commonly-read nowadays. That is "not very", but more than many of their time.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post