Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    King of The Jews?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

King of The Jews? Login/Join

posted
A blurb on Jacques Berlinerblau found via Google search declares the following: Jacques Berlinerblau is associate Professor and Director of Jewish Civilization at Georgetown University. If he directs Jewish civilization, do the folks in Tel Aviv know about this? Aren't they upset? Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6173 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is rather an odd way of putting it, isn't it? I find it particularly funny since Georgetown is a Jesuit university.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Went so far as to look at their website (see link). They have as one of their areas of study a Program for Jewish Civilization. I guess he's the director of that program. Maybe an editor dropped out the "program" hoping to save space. I don't know ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Maybe they were afraid someone would misspell it as "pogrom".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it particularly funny since Georgetown is a Jesuit university

Reminds me of a story... A friend's father went to the University of Chicago before WWII, when it was said that the University of Chicago was a Baptist college where Jewish professors taught Catholic dogma to atheists.

Note to our British* friends: in this case, it is actually called "the University of Chicago". The big university in Berkeley, California is called "the University of California, Berkeley" if you are talking about the place a couple of the elements are named after; just "the University of California" if you are talking about the press, or if you are being a snob, as it was the first campus in the system; "Cal" or "California" if you are talking about the football or basketball teams; "Berkeley" if you are talking about the "Hotbed of Student Radicalism in the Sixties"(TM); "UC Berkeley" if you are talking to your kids about what schools they should apply to; but never "the University of Berkeley" or "Berkeley University".

*not that this mistake is confined to Brits. I thought it was just called "Berkeley" until my room-mate explained it to me in my second senior year of college; I thought "Cal" was an entirely different school.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"Cal"

I usually call it Berkeley or Cal with people who have lived in California for a while. UC Berkeley or UCB or University of California at Berkeley with those less fortunate. I was well into my forties before somebody called me an Old Blue. I'd never heard that before. Turns out to be a designation for alumni of Cal. I've only ever called the University of Chicago (home of the first linguistics department in a US university) Chicago or the University of Chicago, and never UC. (Folks in Chicago probably do otherwise.)

zmj (Cal '79)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reminds me of a story... A friend's father went to the University of Chicago before WWII, when it was said that the University of Chicago was a Baptist college where Jewish professors taught Catholic dogma to atheists.
That is funny, neveu, particularly since my daughter and husband both went to the UC. Wink

That answers your question, z. Yes, we do call the University of Chicago "UC." Before I went to UCSF, I lived in Wisconsin and not Chicago. So when I moved to Chicago after graduating from UCSF, everyone was talking about UC. It took me awhile to realize they meant Chicago and not California (which was unfortunate since I taught clinical at the University of Chicago!).

I had not realized UC was called Cal, either, until just recently. I thought Cal was an entirely different university (Cal State? Cal Tech?). Are they all called Cal, even though they are different systems?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Are they all called Cal, even though they are different systems?

Nope, as far as I know, only the University of Califronia, Berkeley, is called Cal. The California Institute of Technology is called Cal Tech for short. The various state universities are know by their location and State, e.g., San Francisco State, Sonoma State, Hayward (State), etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When I graduated from UCSF, I got job offers at San Francisco State and DePaul in Chicago. Obviously, I took the latter. However, it's always interesting to think where your life might have gone had you taken another road. I wonder where I'd be today had I taken the SF State job.