Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    "Feds Check Urban Dictionary To Crack Gun-Store Threat"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Feds Check Urban Dictionary To Crack Gun-Store Threat" Login/Join

posted
quote:
Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched the slang decoder after Justin Kemble, 27, dim-wittedly wrote he wanted to “murk” the manager of Midwest Gun Exchange, in Mishawaka, Indiana, on the company's profile page.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/...-store-death-threat/

Crikey!

EDITED TO ADD: link to "murk" on Urban Dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=murk

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
He'll get off for lack of evidence since no one believes half the stuff in the UD.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And isn't it a wiki?
His attorney is probably adding such definitions as, "to ply with flowers and chocolates," as we speak.

Joking aside, I assume from this paragraph that he was found (or plead?) guilty:

quote:
Kemble, who claimed he had bought the gun from his former stepfather for $200 earlier this year, appeared in a federal courthouse on felony charges. A judge ordered him jailed ahead of a Sept. 6 detention hearing.

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Looks like he eas held over without bail (an unusual occurrence for this thinly-veiled threat) until another, later, appearance in court.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Urban Dictionary is a Wiki, though it is highly inaccurate.

Keep in mind that Indiana is one of our most red-necked states (apologies to Geoff!).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a wiki as such, but anyone can add a definition at any time. In effect, it's less relable than most wikis as they usually have some sort of moderation in place.

I was amused that Time got their story from The Smoking Gun. Very apt! Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the combination of the threat and the attempt to sell a firearm with a defaced serial number, the latter being a federal crime.

Earlier this year the feds shut down a gun dealer near here for selling weapons to ex-cons. The lesson: In the USA you have the right to keep and bear arms, IF they're legally obtained, and you're not a known or former criminal.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That may be a lesson in Indiana, but not across the country, Geoff. Ah, buy I must stay down from my soap box. Eek

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Off subject, but related to your comment on "criminal": I heard an NPR report where a job applicant wrote that his occupation was a "criminal." Roll Eyes

<Proofreader>
posted
A recent police department applicant was incensed when, just because he didn't lie on his application, he got arrested. One of the questions was "Have you ever had sex with children?" and he said, "Yes.."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Off subject, but related to your comment on "criminal": I heard an NPR report where a job applicant wrote that his occupation was a "criminal." Roll Eyes

OK, which political party did the person represent?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
A recent police department applicant was incensed when, just because he didn't lie on his application, he got arrested. One of the questions was "Have you ever had sex with children?" and he said, "Yes.."

If he was eleven at the time and the other one was twelve, what then? Probably inconceivable, but not unlikely.

<Proofreader>
posted
Not only inconceivable but unbearable.