Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The London Beer Flood of 1814
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The London Beer Flood of 1814 Login/Join

Picture of WinterBranch
posted
I was checking out The Straight Dope and they have a section called "Threadspotting"--which is for interesting conversations. This one was about disasters. I've never heard of the Boston Molasses Flood, or the Madison Cheese Fire or this one:

The London Beer Flood of 1814

Can anyone imagine of whom I thought when I read it? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I almost hate to say this (just call me "Miss Gullible), but is this true? True or not, it is hilarious!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
Oh, honey, I'm the Poster Girl of Gullible Wink
But so far as I know, it's the real deal.

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it either, but the Meux name adds versimilitude. The Friary Meux brewery used to be based in Guildford, Surrey and was presumably formed from a merger of two brewers. Friary Meux was later taken over by Ind Coope in Burton who were in turn swallowed up by the Allied Breweries giant.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
This is completely true. The Friary brewery was in Guildford and Meux were in London. They did merge and, when I started drinking, my local pub (the Bull in Reigate) was a Friary Meux house (or Friary Muck, as we used to call it). I seem to remember that a pint was just over a tanner - it might have been eightpence-halfpenny.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Last October, WinterBranch mentioned the Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post