Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I Can't Believe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Can't Believe Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
For those who don't live in the UK there is a product here which you may or may not have heard of. It's a margarine called "I can't believe it's not butter". I believe it was originally from the United States but I have no idea if it's available elsewhere in the world under that name. I don't use it myself but I am quite taken with the linguistic aspects of the latest advertising campaign promoting the new improved version.

It uses the slogan "I can't believe 'I can't believe it's not butter' is better" which it subsequently expands into "I can't believe 'I can't believe 'I can't believe it's not butter' is better' is better than 'I can't believe it's not butter'".

Ain't English wonderful?

And for those who would like more on the subject.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have heard of this product under that name. In fact, Fabian (IIRC) used to promote it on TV. But, yes, to answer your question, recursion in language is divine ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, so have I. Unfortunately, I am having Adobe Flash Player/Firefox issues, so I can't watch the video. (I have gone around and around the stupid directions for loading Adobe Flash Player for Firefox, and they are just fools with describing what to do. I don't have the screen that they think I have. I may never watch another YouTube video again!)

Loved your use of apostrophes! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Transcript.

In the Vicar of Dibley Alice describes her experience of "I can't believe it's not butter."

quote:
You know that stuff that they're selling now at the local shop?
(Which stuff?)
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter?
(Oh yes)
Well, you know, I can't believe it's not butter!
(I believe that is the idea, yes.)
Then yesterday, I went to Crookenden and I bought this other stuff, like a sort of home brand, you know? And, you know, I can't believe it's not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
(I'm losing you now)
Well, you know I Can't Believe It's Not Butter?
(Yeah, yeah. You think it is butter.)
No, no, I mean, you know the stuff that I can't believe is not butter is called I Can't Believe It's Not Butter?
(Probably, yes.)
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. And I believe they both might be butter in a cunning disguise. And, in fact, there's a lot more butter around than we all thought there was.
(Yes. You see I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm sure God does and is intrigued by the whole thing.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't believe is isn't on Wikipedia and it is.

With Ofcom's rules about mentioning products by name I'm rather surprised that it gets free mentions on air in this way.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post