Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    More PC nonsense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More PC nonsense Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Today's papers report that a proposal has been tabled for the forthcoming annual conference of the Professional Association of Teachers which strikes me as batty even by modern standards.
They want the word, and concept, of failure to be removed from schools and replaced with the phrase "deferred success". All failed exams will become "deferred passes".

Quite apart from the ridiculous idea that anyone benefits from this rubbish a "failure" is not the same thing as a "deferred pass". The latter indicates that a pass in the future is a certainty and may be awarded with no further effort.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
If there are no failures, then how do you measure success?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You don't. Everyone's a winner. Great theory, isn't it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It sounds very American to me. I can't think of any examples right now (anyone?), but there are a lot. I think it is insulting because it assumes people are so stupid that they don't realize it really means "failure."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard English: If there are no failures, then how do you measure success?
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" (Robert Browning)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post