Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Inventing valid new words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inventing valid new words Login/Join

Picture of Bea
posted
Has anyone here ever been involved in creating a new word? A friend of mine in Germany was one of the co-creators of the word "handy" which is short for mobile phone in Germany; I think this came out of a think-tank of copywriters.

I would be interested in a new word for a movement in birds; not sure anyone else here keeps birds but they tend to stretch a leg and a wing (same side of the body) in a ballet-like movement away to the rear (leg) and the side (wing). This is the most amazing avian "Tai Chi" observation ever.

Any suggestions?

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

<Proofreader>
posted
I've invented any number of new words, usually directly after striking my thumb with a hammer, so most would not pass muster in respectable publications. I think that is the problem here since a new word has to gain acceptance by a large audience, and that is difficult.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
if your birdie were on ice, I'd call it a one-winged flying camel Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bea, you keep birds? Are they pets?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I came up with 'refudiate' before S. Palin was even born. (I think I was six).

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a pre-teen a very precocious neighbor kid came up with "gretch," a melding of "gripe" and "kvetch." Had he been famous or infamous it might have caught on. Are you either one, Tom? Big Grin

Bea, our two doves only do the movement you describe when I take them out in the sun. Since it looks as if they've turned into little sledding hills, may I sugest featherslide?

I've observed various raptors spreading both wings while perched. I assume it to be for temperature regulation, and not as a pose for some "right-wing" humans. Wink

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
spreading both wings while perched

Also to facilitate projectile defecation, in some birds.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post