Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Google bombs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google bombs Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We've all seen it. You look something up in Google and are flummoxed by what appears. For example, "miserable failure" brings up the biography of George Bush as the first site and Welcome to MichaelMoore.com as the second site. This is search-engine manipulation known as spamdexing, obviously a combination of spam and indexing. Others think a better term is link bombing because it works by the site being linked to a number of popular sites.

What term do you think it should be? Do you know of any other fun ones?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Google-Fight. You google two queries, and the query with the most hits is the victor.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I missed this post, Sean. How fun! I put OEDILF and Wordcraft into Google-Fight and found this.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
For example, "miserable failure" brings up the biography of George Bush as the first site and Welcome to MichaelMoore.com as the second site.

And the third and fourth hits are articles about the first two sites being the first two sites...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post