When Did Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
When did

"Roly-poly" become "morbidly obese"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It doesn't mean that in my neck of the woods.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
just aksin

posted Hide Post
None of these appear obese to me: https://www.google.com/search?...sAQ&biw=1440&bih=781

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From the online OED (yes, I can access it again!), the first citation is from 1602, meaning a worthless person. Then in the 1700s, all the way to the 2000s, it describes "any of various games which feature the rolling of a ball or other object" or a game where people (especially children) roll down a hill (1821 to 2000s). The first OED citation for "a podgy, plump, or stout person, esp. a child" was from the European Magazine in 1808, with this quote, "The eye has its fire and consequence correspondent with the fierté belonging to a man of rank; the good-humored rolly-polly which gave the appearance of twinkling stars to those organs, is no more." In other citations "roly poly" just has one L.

<Proofreader>
posted
When did

it become illegal to yell "bingo" in a bingo hall? This week

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...that's harsh!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, that BINGO story was on NPR's "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!" show today. The game contestant didn't pick that story so they lost. Had I been playing, I would have won! [I think winning means they put the message on your answering machine. A million dollars would be much better!]

posted Hide Post
He was facing a $250 fine and a possible 90 days in jail, but just in the nick of time some wiseacre in the court room yelled "case dismissed".

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would have happened if he'd walked in backwards and excitedly shouted, "OGNIB?"
In the emotionally charged atmosphere of a bingo game, I bet ANY excitedly shouted word would have had the same effect.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
When did recommended" lose its meaning?

posted Hide Post
That's the opposite of this: http://staugustine.com/news/bu...-experiment-st-louis