Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Did this man drown?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did this man drown? Login/Join

posted
Here's an obit from the local rag for someone who I assume drowned:
HOMOSASSA, FL - Albert Fuston Fugett, 70, of Homosassa, Florida,
formerly of Redkey, Indiana passed away Wednesday, December 8, 2010 in
Crystal River, FL.

Great name, methinks! Pity he passed away in a Florida river!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's funny! Big Grin

It reminds me of something we've talked about from time to time here...funny names of cities. I recently found this great Web site with top 50 cities, from around the world, that have funny names. Here are a few of my favorites:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Wales). The translation of the name is ' St. Marys Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel Near to the Rapid Whirlpool of Llantysilio of the Red Cave'. (Wow! Here's their explanation: "The name was given in the nineteenth century, when it was desired a development of the community and its transformation into a commercial and tourism center.”)

Dead Chinaman (Papua New Guinea)(I wonder what the Chinese politicians think of this!)

Beer Bottle Crossing (Idaho, USA) (I wonder if they're "bottle conditioned." Wink)

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu (New Zealand) (I wonder how they order things on the Internet! Can you imagine telling someone where you live?)

ii (Finland) (The Fins apparently aren't as verbose as the New Zealanders)

My Large Intestine (Texas, USA) (I think I’d refuse to live there!)

Whiskey Dick Mountain (Washington State, USA) (That gives you quite a vision!)

Looneyville, Texas, USA) (Perfect for Texas!)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Wikipedia (link): "The village's long name cannot be considered an authentic Welsh-language toponym. It was artificially contrived in the 1860s to bestow upon the station the honour of having the longest name of any railway station in the United Kingdom: an early example of a publicity stunt. The village's own web site credits the name to a cobbler from the local village of Menai Bridge. According to Sir John Morris-Jones the name was created by a local tailor, whose name he did not confide, letting the secret die with him."

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Like Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (the common form), they use a shorter form, too: i.e., Taumata; see link.

Ii (Finland) (The Finns apparently aren't as verbose as the New Zealanders)

Finnish is an agglutinative language and has some fairly longish words.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is it that most Finnish names end in "i" or "en?" And why the "ian" ending of most Armenian names?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Why is it that most Finnish names end in "i" or "en?" And why the "ian" ending of most Armenian names?

What is common is that surnames (family names) are adjectival forms of proper names. Finnish and Armenian names that end in -en and -ian are examples. Slavic patronymics use double adjectival suffixes: -ov + -, cf. -witz; Polish names ending in -ski, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I was in a pet store yesterday and saw a sign for a "Folding Dog Crate." None of the pet experts could point me to a breeder of folding dogs.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't know about folding dogs but I've seen quite a few people with the modern portable kind that are carried in a handbag.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah...and they don't seem like real dogs to me. Our Border Collie? Now, she is a real dog!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post