Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Speech patterns as cure for hiccups?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speech patterns as cure for hiccups? Login/Join

Picture of Bea
posted
I regularly suffer from hiccups and found a nice way to divert the mind is to create certain speech patterns and have come to favour a seven syllable one so I extend or shorten anything that crosses what's left of my mind to a meaningful seven syllable sentence.
As a pleasant side-effect the hiccup is usually gone by then.

Anybody else?

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

posted Hide Post
Perhaps the same part(s) of the brain might be activated as in stuttering. It's known that singing and speaking use different areas, so maybe hiccups are switched off by deliberately switching brain function?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Whenevery I got them, I used to look at my mother-in-law to scare them away. Now that she's gone, I'm looking for a suitable substitute.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What would one of your seven syllable sentences be?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bea
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

Any sentence, really but the one that set me off was a slogan in a cartoon:

VooDoo dolls have feelings too.

Bea

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of Haikus. Do you write those?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post