Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So... Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Did I just become aware of it, or do TV reporters now more often than not preface a statement with "So, the police (etc.)...?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Shortly after writing the last, my wife and I were watching People's Court. During one segment, the plaintiff and defendant each began numerous sentences with "So..."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A nice discussion but their info is a bit confusing. It's Episode #7 but that is actually #70 on the list. Took a while to find.

posted Hide Post
"So" takes me back to my college days. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/...200/#isbn=0918286387

Didn't I grouse about "so" on here some while ago? I don't know how to do a search.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
BobHale may not want to see this since it features his least favorite speaker, a man who generates significant wind power ihrough gesticulation.

posted Hide Post
He discusses battery sizes, but fails to mention why we English speakers have taken to calling a voltaic cell a battery. "Battery" implies two or more of something. Once upon a time we DID say "cell," but no more. So... why? What a revolting development, I say. We also used to call them "accumulators," which is still the German term. In French it's "pile," presumably because a small one resembles a French hemorrhoid. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
He discusses battery sizes, but fails to mention why we English speakers have taken to calling a voltaic cell a battery. "Battery" implies two or more of something. Once upon a time we DID say "cell," but no more.

Did we?

quote:
1748 B. Franklin Let. in Exper. & Observ. Electr. (1751) 26 An electrical battery, consisting of eleven panes of large sash-glass, arm'd with thin leaden plates.

1822 T. Webster Imison's Elem. Sci. & Art (new ed.) I. 340 When a number of Jars are thus connected it is called a battery.

1801 Sir H. Davy in Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 91 400 The third and most powerful class of Galvanic batteries..is formed, when metallic substances, oxidable in acids..are connected, as plates, with oxidating fluids.

1812 H. Davy Elements Chem. Philos. 162 Zinc, copper, and nitric acid form a powerful battery.

c1865 J. Wylde Circle of Sci. I. 190/1 No arrangement equals Grove's platina battery.

posted Hide Post
quote:
1822 T. Webster Imison's Elem. Sci. & Art (new ed.) I. 340 When a number of Jars are thus connected it is called a battery.

Yep. I remember hearing people say, D cell or C cell or A cell. Several cells in series formed a battery.

posted Hide Post
I thought you meant that we used to say “battery cell” instead of “battery”, but you meant something else.
I don’t think “battery” implies two or more of something. I don’t see why the fact that we can discuss batteries without mentioning their internal composition is to be regretted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_cell
See paragraph two. When/how/why did "cell" imply just one?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
When/how/why did "cell" imply just one?

Just one what?

quote:
In common usage, the word "battery" has come to include a single galvanic cell, but a battery properly consists of multiple cells.[1]

The source for this is the M-W entry for “battery”. But I dont see how M-W provides evidence that “a battery properly consists of multiple cells.” Whether or not a battery “properly consists of multiple cells” is an electical argument, not a linguistic one. I know nothing about electronics.

Or, maybe it’s about specialized electronic vocabulary where “battery” means something different than it does in standard English.

<Proofreader>
posted
A battery is a collection of cells. The more cells, the higher the voltage. That's why electric cars need such heavy batteries, to get the necessary volts.

posted Hide Post
A battery can consist of one cell, apparently. I’m not sure what the problem is, if there is one.

posted Hide Post
Oh, well, it's just cranky old me spouting off. Too many years of reading James J. Kilpatrick. Frown

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We talked about it here, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post