Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountains Login/Join

posted
Some mountains have clever or colorful names. I will list a few and would like your input into other. The great Smokey Mounbtains do indeed seem to smoke on a cool morning as wisps of fog rise from the vlleys. The Sierra Nevada Mountains, sierra means serrated and nevada means snow or snowy. Someone once told me the mountains of Kentucky looked like women's breasts and they do. The translation of Grand Tetons, however, is "big breasts." Cold Mountain, described in the novel of that name, is an ordinary,round, green Appalachiaan mountain that can be seen from Mt. Pisgah. The latter is a Biblical word pronounced PIZZ ga. (Rhymes with Fizz.)
We have lots of mountains with indian names but I don't know what they mean. What does Appalachian mean? Let me know about your favorite maountain names.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you here, missann, but living in the flat prairie of the midwest, I am afraid that I won't have a lot to contribute. I did enjoy Mt. Tam when I was in SF, though. I always thought of it as having a hat on the very top of it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
We don't have any mountains in England and those in Scotland and Wales are rather small, even by European standards. So I don't have much to contribute insofar as mountain names are concerned.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There are two etymologies for Tamalpais: the first is that it means "sleeping maiden" in Miwok (supposedly the mountain viewed from a certain location looks like an young woman lying down on her back), and the other that it means "west mountain" in Coastal Miwok (from tamal "west" + pais "mountain"). The latter is cited in California Placenames by Erwin Gudde, a fantastic book and still in print. The Coastal Miwok are an extinct Native American tribe who lived north of San Francisco in what is today Marin county. It is thought by some that George Lucas named the Ewoks after them. Miwok means 'person, nation' in Miwok. A related tribe, the Sierra Miwok, are still living in the Sierra Nevada in Central California.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There are several mountain names (as well as those of rivers and other such features) that are redundant. For example, the mountain in Japan we know as Mt Fujiyama means "Mt Mt Yama" since "Fuji" means "mountain".

I seem to remember a small (around 2,000 feet) hill/mountain in Cumbria, England being mentioned on TV once. Alas I can't remember the name now but it was something like "Torpointhill Fell"*. The name means "Hill hill hill hill". Cool

* Note that the name is made up.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned it before, but "The La Brea Tar Pits" translates to "The The Tar Tar Pits"

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Mt Fujiyama

The yama in Mt Fuji-yama (more properly, Mt Fuji-san 富士山) means mountain. Mt Fuji is not redundant. River Avon is, though.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ah. I had it backwards. Thanks for correcting me, zmj. Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post