Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Chiracnophobia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiracnophobia Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
French language-chauvanism

Jacque Chirac was in last week's news of the EU summit. Frenchman Ernest-Antoine Seilière, addressing the 25 assumbled EU leaders, said he would address them in "the language of business."

That is, English. Chirac immediately stomped out of the room, dragging two of his ministers in his wake, to return only when Seillière finished.

How ironic that Sellière's talk was speaking on "the dangerous rise of national chauvinism in business and the economy."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Chirac's behaviour is a fine example of the attitude that is presently causing the rapid decline in importance of French - once probably the world's foremost language of diplomacy.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
the rapid decline in importance of French
I misread your words as saying "... importance of the French," which is perhaps also an apt comment.

posted Hide Post
I've never quite understood quite why the French tend to throw all their toys out of the pram over this. The English language is full of French words and expressions, so why do they get so stroppy when English expressions 'invade' their language?. Rather than taking the huff, maybe they should be grateful that at least parts of their language are in everyday use amongst the English speaking nations as well as the nations who use English for business. If I were German, however, I would be wondering if my language will survive until the 22nd Century...

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's a common enough occurence for once great powers to take their downfall begrudgingly. Sometime in the future, when the English language is exinct and all but forgotten, some will take umbrage at that.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
The English language is full of French words and expressions

The English language is full of many languages' words and expressions - relatively few of our words are genuine "old English".

Which is one of the great strength of English. "Multi-cultural" languages, like multi-cultural societies, have a great opportunity to benefit from the strengths of all consituents.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post