Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hugging a Hero
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hugging a Hero Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
A friend of mine in our public relations/volunteer department was kind enough to think of me when she got an invitation to a gala a few weeks ago. It was the grand opening of the new WOSU, our local public television station, now located and partnering with COSI, our local hands-on science museum. She invited me because she knows that I'm a huge fan of Carol Spinney, the puppeteer inside both Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

My love for the Muppets started when I was very small. My mother, a teacher and great parent, was always telling us to get off the couch, turn off the TV and go outside to play. One day she called us in from the backyard to watch television. This new kids show must have been written up in some education journal or something, and Mom wanted us all to watch. It was the very first season of Sesame Street, and I've been hooked ever since. As I grew, so did my admiration for the Muppets and their creators. I began to learn about Jim Henson and Frank Oz and the other Muppeteers, like Carol Spinney.

When I was in High School my marching band was in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and all of my friends were very excited in the hopes that they'd see Erik Estrada from Chips. I didn't really care about seeing him, even if is was cute, but when I heard the voice of Miss Piggy behind me, and then I turned and saw Frank Oz and Jim Henson doing sound checks in the back of the car they were riding in for the parade, my day was set! There they were - Miss Piggy and Kermit - the great geniuses who created them - just a few yards away from me! I was too shy to go up and say hello, but I will never forget seeing them.

Thursday evening, I went to this big party at COSI thinking I would just hear Carol Spinney speak and that would be it. Well, at the reception, there he was! Just standing around chatting with people! I went up to him and talked with him for a bit. I told him (crying as I did, actually, I was so moved) how much he and the folks at Children's Television Workshop have meant to me, and how much of an influence they've had on my life. Their groundbreaking approach to education, television, puppetry and creative presentation of difficult topics has created a whole generation of people (myself included) who learned the alphabet and Spanish and that it's OK to cry - all things we learned from the Muppets. He says in his book that he was just in the right place at the right time. Well, I'm convinced that there was no one else who could have done what he's done with Big Bird and Oscar. Now I know why. He is an extraordinarily kind man.

As I was gushing at him, I said "Oh, I bet you hear stories like this all the time." His response was to make complete eye contact with me and say "But I've never heard your story before. Thank you for sharing it with me."

Well, I thought I was about as happy about meeting him as I could possibly be. But wait! There's more! Friday (yesterday) I went back to COSI to do some storytelling. They had asked the Library to provide some storytellers for the public/kid-oriented side of their opening. I volunteered (of course). Guess who walked in while I was reading! There I was, reading and singing (it's what I do best), and Carol Spinney and his wife were in the back. They didn't stay long, really, but still! THEN - afterwards, I was able to get my picture with him. When we went up to him again, he even remembered my name! He said "Hello, Cathy". hehehe One of the storyteller coordinators took the pic, and I'll post it on my blog as soon as I get it from her by email. And guess what! While we were talking again, I mentioned to him how I love the Trash song Oscar sings, and he said "Let's sing it together!" Right there in the atrium of COSI! Oscar and I sang "I love trash!" I was in heaven. What a great man - to have acheieved such fame and success, and still take time to sing about trash with a silly local librarian. I felt like a kid again, and like a very, very lucky adult. Oh yes, and he gives great hugs. He really is a very sincere, humble, wonderfully kind man.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, CW, what a moving post. Thank you! I can't wait for you to have the picture posted on your blog.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
CW, that's a lovely picture! We always knew you were trashy... that's why we love you. Smile You're a gem, how could Big Bird NOT love you??

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Aww shucks. Thanks, KHC. hehehe

~Dalai Lama