Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    But what's the problem?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

But what's the problem? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Several times recently I have seen on TV items promoting the forthcoming James Bond film and invariably the people doing the items say that they don't understand the title.
What is their problem? The title is perfectly straightforward English -

"A Quantum of Solace"

Seems fine to me. Anybody here have a problem with it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"A Quantum of Solace"

I don't have a problem with it, but most people probably aren't familiar with the word quantum. Just a guess. Solace might also be rare to the mobile vulgus. I suppose A Bit of Comfort wouldn't cause the same problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen "quantum" as a noun before. Guess I should read more Ian Fleming.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Is solace measured in quanta? Is it measured at all? I thought quantum, as a noun, applied only to things that can be measured or counted, tangible things that can be broken into parts.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Straightforward metaphorical usage. So common that One-Look's second definition is

quote:
noun: a discrete amount of something that is analogous to the quantum in quantum theory

In other words - "a bit".

Given that in physics it is "the smallest possible bit" (oversimplification, I know) I think we can take the metaphorical use to be "a very little bit".

It's not that I think it's a good title, just that I can't understand why some apparently educated people are having trouble even deciphering it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I should read more Ian Fleming.

That wouldn't help much. Ian Fleming wrote 14 James Bond books but Quantum of Solace will be the 22nd Bond movie by EON Productions.

EDIT: Correction:
quote:
On January 24, 2008, Quantum of Solace was confirmed as the title. It was also the name of a short story in Ian Fleming's anthology For Your Eyes Only (1960), although the film is otherwise unrelated.
(from the Wikipedia entry.)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post