Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Another catapostrophe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another catapostrophe Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Passing through Sparkhill the other day I went past a shop that was not only selling "Computer's and TV's" but had the apostrophes on the sign upside down as well!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
but had the apostrophes on the sign upside down as well!

Aren't upside-down apostrophes commas?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I bet they put the apostrophe legitimately in the "TV's" (with abbreviations there is some agreement on an apostrophe). Then they forgot and also put it in computers. Just a thought.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I would only use an apostrohpe in words (like a few abbreviations and single-letter words) where there would otherwise be confusion.

Eg. "There are three A's in the preceding sentence"

Without the apostrophe the sentence is meaningless.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I bet they put the apostrophe legitimately in the "TV's" (with abbreviations there is some agreement on an apostrophe). Then they forgot and also put it in computers. Just a thought.

They also had "Video's and Printer's".

And zm, the apostrophe was correctly positioned at the top not the bottom of the letter but had it's little tadpole tail pointing up, not down.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post