Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Importance of Punctuation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Importance of Punctuation Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
  • Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy -- will you let me be yours?
    Gloria

• Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
    Yours,
    Gloria

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have seen this piece previously. It is very good - and there are many more examples. Just one simple punctuation error can massively alter the sense of a piece and I like the one about the husband's reply to his wife who had left a text asking whether she could buy an expensive item of jewelry. Compare:

1. No! Price to high for you darling.

2. No price too high for you darling.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to see you back, Richard!

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This isn't about punctuation but about clarity and logic. Read this sentence from the NYT: "An osteopathic physician in Florida spreads more coronavirus misinformation online than anyone, researchers say." More than ANYONE? So he is no one? Wouldn't logic require people to say, "...anyone ELSE?

I see this construction often. Why?

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. No! Price to high for you darling.

I'm not sure I get this one.

Nice to see you here, Richard!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post