Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    edit/spellcheck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

edit/spellcheck Login/Join

posted
daleh, if you insist on using the IE browser, here's a tool to help you.

note: this doesn't appear to work with FF.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Laughing! We could have used that to help clean up from yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner.

I've been using IE without much thought. What browser do you recommend, tsuwm?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I *teach the use of IE7 -- it's not all bad once you get over Bill Gates-ism. I *use Firefox2, almost exclusively.

Most PCs come with IE installed, so that's not really an issue; but if you had to install these yourself, Ff is SO much easier, and takes less than a minute.

give this comparison a look.

posted Hide Post
tsu, I don't know what an IE Browser is but thank you for the link as I've never been quite sure how to hold the dishrag either

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I don't know what an IE Browser

Dahil. It is the Microsoft Internet Explorer. It comes with the Windows operating system. It is the piece of software that allows one to browse the Internet, and in which you ensconce faves (or bookmark Web sites). It's what you'd call Bill Gates or an algorithm depending on your mood.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zm, while I ralize you're pulling my leg, I didn't realize that the Google spellcheck was a function of Explorer or Outlook

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that the Google spellcheck was a function of Explorer or Outlook

Sorry, Dahil, that's not what I said and not what I meant.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I think dahil® was bumfuzzled by the subject line, which was my attempt at a crossthread. <shrug>

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm befuddled - not by Elmer Fudd - but by Firefox, which doesn't let me click and drag the rag around. With all the spewed food particles on it, it needs a good cleaning! Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as I said initially, it doesn't work in Ff; but I don't think it's really worth following up on, esp. since I also use IE (and Netscape too -- not surprisingly, it doesn't work there either).

(When you maintain a website, you need to keep all these browsers active for testing purposes..)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Dale, Wordcraft isn't likely to get spellcheck. We can't make those sorts of requests because we pay a monthly rate to a company that provides our software and server. We don't have our own server, as they do, for example, on OEDILF. The company we use makes occasional improvements, but we are only 1 of many customers. We could, of course, change servers, but we've been very happy with this one.

So...my suggestion might be that you either post on a community where they do have spellcheck or you might want to write your posts in Word, spellcheck them, and then copy and paste them here.

I am sorry we can't be of more assistance.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K: Thank you for explaining that. Perhaps if you could provide a link to the company I could make suggestions directly to them

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
They used to be called Infopop (which is still part of the URL for the Wordcraft site), then they became Groupee, and the software is called Eve Community (if you look at the bottom of this page, you'll see a powered by eve community).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
zm: I went there but couldn't supply the following entries

Eve Community Admin Login Name*
Eve Community Admin Password*
Eve Community URL*

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Eve Community Admin Login Name*
Eve Community Admin Password*
Eve Community URL*

That's because you are not an administrator of this site. You need to get in touch with their support people. If you look around those links there should be a Contact page with an email address. Then you can send them some suggestions about the functionality of their software.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't ethical courteous protocol call for contacting administrators of this site first?

Who are they ??

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't ethical courteous protocol call for contacting administrators of this site first? Who are they ??

They are Kalleh, Wordcrafter, arnie, and I.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Dale, I will ask them to consider adding spellcheck. However, we are only 1 of many, and just making that suggestion won't guarantee anything. I promise to get back to you on their answer in a PM. Thanks...and on to word discussions!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K, I love you and wish you could come to my house and drink the brews with my No. 1 Son and I

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I asked them some time back when you first mentioned this. They said that they would bear it in mind but it wasn't a priority. I'm fairly sure that I posted their reply here. Please get off your hobby-horse and take the advice you have been given several times now for alternatives.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arnie: Oh so you did. As an old fart on the brink of senility I must seem to many like a terrible person. Every year about this time I make a resolution to improve myself but always I fail

Otherwise my most hearty and sincere congratlations for a site that in all other respects is easy to navigate and attracts the best kinds of participants