Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Verbal synaesthesia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verbal synaesthesia Login/Join

posted
Ok, so synaesthesia's a great word to start with: the subjective experience of stimuli from one sensual realm in another. It happens in brain surgery occasionally, when people begin to 'hear' physical touch or 'see' smells. Some people experience one or many forms of syneasthesia routinely or in regular episodes.

My discussion relates to my wife, who has a very definite sense of different words having different colours. For her, it's particularly about the vowel sounds - a's are red, u's are black/brown, etc. I just wondered if anyone else has similar reactions to words.

Posts: 8 | Location: Nottingham, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say I've ever heard of that before and I'm curious as to why it happens. If anyone knows I'd certainly like to know.

Welcome to the group Quickbeam. I'm a new member myself though I have thankfully managed to drop the 'junior'title.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome - it looks like a great site. I could easily lose hours in here...

Posts: 8 | Location: Nottingham, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Vladimir Nabokov talks about certain phonological sounds having certain colors in his memoirs, Speak, Memory. It's a good book.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rimbaud wrote a poem about it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my co-workers has synesthesia. I also saw a TV program about it last year - either on 60 Minutes, or on PBS. I guess it's like a sixth sense.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The Beeb had a fascinating programme on all types of synesthesia and cam to the conclusion that it is not as rare as many people think. Of course, for most it is only slight - so slight that many people don't even recognise they have it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome Quickbeam! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool How nice to see a another newbie!

This is an interesting subject, and while I think we've mentioned it before, I couldn't find the discussion.

I can't say that I have a similar reaction to words as your wife does. Does she have this sense when she reads or writes or when she is doing both? How interesting!

Now, Quickbeam, you're going to have to post a lot like Doad did to get rid of the "Junior" label! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quickbeam:
I could easily lose hours in here...
Keep in mind John Lennon's saying: "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I suspect that synaesthesia is so well ingrained in our everyday lives that we don't recognise it when it happens. We have expressions such as, "I see," when we mean that we aurally comprehend something, or "several flavors" of some inedible thing. Then there's Hamlet's "Something's rotten in the state of Denmark," referring not to odor but to decadence of another kind. Might poets aritsts, and musicians have this sense more at their command than we who use language in a prosaic fashion?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post