Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Great Firewall of China
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Firewall of China Login/Join

posted
Is the above term new to you? I chuckled at its cleverness, but is it still true?

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very true. Without a VPN many of the sites I wanted to access - even thoroughly innocuous ones like the Internet Movie Database are blocked.
Other sites such as anything associated with google are incredibly slow and many search terms in search engines produce no results.

A VPN solves it all though.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the government realize that, Bob? It seems odd to go to all that firewall trouble when there are work arounds?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
They shut down the VPNs when they can and the restrictions are more aimed at the average Chinese user than the few foreigners.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought something might be going on since you've never responded to the email I sent a month ago!

<Proofreader>
posted
I sent one to Bob but it was misdirected to North Korea and now I wonder about the uncle.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob's your uncle?