Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Oxford Word of the Year 2008
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oxford Word of the Year 2008 Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
One thing I love about the new year is seeing all the new "words of the year." I was a bit disappointed with Oxford's: Hypermiling - meaning to maximize gas mileage by making fuel-conserving adjustments to one’s car and one’s driving techniques.

Some of the runners up I liked, though, such as:

moofer - a mobile out of office worker – ie. someone who works away from a fixed workplace, via Blackberry/laptop/wi-fi etc. (also verbal noun, moofing)

topless meeting - a meeting in which the participants are barred from using their laptops, Blackberries, cellphones, etc. (I need my Treo for when boredom sets in!)

rewilding - the process of returning an area to its original wild state/flora/fauna etc.

I was surprised about "hockey mom;" we already have "soccer mom," don't we?

Have you seen some other 2008 words of the year?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The MW Word of the Year was bailout, which makes sense. I wasn't sure I agreed with the runners up, though.

Apparently Saffire picked frugalista.

However, Geoffrey Nunberg , on NPR, suggests the "brief and curious resurgence of Joe." That's not a bad choice!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post