Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Searching for a good search engine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searching for a good search engine Login/Join

posted
While a bit OT, I'd like to know why search engines have quit working well in recent years. It used to be that if one typed in what one was looking for, the search would pull up whatever was closest to the words entered. Now they pull up all sorts of garbage unrelated to your search. It seems to have started with Microsoft's "Bing," but has spread to all the others. Any suggestions how to circumvent the problem?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Any suggestions how to circumvent the problem?

Frequent your local library's reference desk.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am afraid we're way past that, Proof. Indeed, they'd just tell us to go to Google.

Well, I don't use anything but Google, but I have to say that I don't feel that a bunch of garbage comes up when I am looking for something. Can you give us an example?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
It seems to have started with Microsoft's "Bing," but has spread to all the others. Any suggestions how to circumvent the problem?

I don't use Bing, but Yahoo search is powered by Bing, so any problems with Bing will presumably be duplicated there. As far as I know the only other search engine in common use is Google. Are there others that you use?

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post