Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Favorite slang dictionaires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite slang dictionaires Login/Join

posted
If you could have only three or four reasonably-priced and readily-available slang dictionaries--preferably but not necessarily leftpond-- what would they be--Thanks again all

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
1. Eric Partridge. 1985. Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English: Colloquialisms, and Catch-Phrases, Solecisms and Catachresis, Nicknames, and Vulgarisms.

2. Jonathon Green. 2006. Cassell's Dictionary of Slang: A Major New Edition of the Market-Leading Dictionary of Slang.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy just about every entry in the Hacker's Dictionary, a.k.a the Jargon File. One can purchase in book form, although the text is available for free.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/index.html

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Eric Partridge. 1985. Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English: Colloquialisms, and Catch-Phrases, Solecisms and Catachresis, Nicknames, and Vulgarisms.
I bet I'm not the only one who doesn't know what a 'catachresis' is (or even whether it's singular or plural).

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
'catachresis'

"Use of the wrong word for the context" or "use of a forced and especially paradoxical figure of speech (as blind mouths)" From Merriam-Webster's.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
zm, shu. I also have Partridge but couldn't understand why many common exprs seemed to be missing until just now when you made me realize that I had the 1961 ed

Either of you fellas want to sell your 1985 ed really cheap

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Either of you fellas want to sell your 1985 ed really cheap

I have an earlier edition in two volumes. The Cassell's is rather modern.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.