Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    halloween information
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

halloween information Login/Join

posted
being the fact halloween and my wedding night are just around the corner i thought some information about the day would be a interesting topic

Pumpkins are fruits. A pumpkin is a type of squash and is a member of the gourd family (Cucurbitacae), which also includes squash, cucumbers, gherkins, and melons.

The largest pumpkin ever grown was 1,337 pounds. It was grown by Charles Houghton of New Boston, New Hampshire.

Pumpkin seeds should be planted between the last week of May and the middle of June. They take between 90 and 120 days to grow and are picked in October when they are bright orange in color. Their seeds can be saved to grow new pumpkins the next year.

------------------------------------------------

Halloween Superstitions

A burning a candle inside a jack-o-lantern on Halloween keeps evil spirits and demons at bay.

Always burn new candles on Halloween to ensure the best of luck. It is not a good idea to burn Halloween candles at any other time of the year. It may bring bad luck or strange things will happen to you, over which you will have no control.

Gazing into a flame of a candle on Halloween night will enable you to peer into the future.

It is believed that if a person lights a new orange colored candle at midnight on Halloween and lets it burn until sunrise, he or she will be the recipient of good luck

The old Celtic custom was to light great bonfires on Halloween, and after these had burned out to make a circle of the ashes of each fire. Within this circle, and near the circumference, each member of the various families that had helped to make a fire would place a pebble. If, on the next day, any stone was displaced, or had been damaged, it was considered to be an indication that the one to whom the stone belonged would die within twelve months.

Put your clothes on inside out and walk backwards on Halloween night to meet a witch.

You should walk around your home three times backwards and counterclockwise before sunset on Halloween to ward off evil spirits.

In Britain, people believed that the Devil was a nut-gatherer. At Halloween, nuts were used as magic charms.

Posts: 64 | Location: Martinsburg, W.V.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And...don't forget that Wordcrafters have a costume party chat on the Saturday nearest to Halloween. We hope you will join us, Blues!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one problem ill be on my honeymoon im getting married friday oct 31 and the saturday would be the first if i did that correctly so i probilly will not be able to attend but i will try

posted Hide Post
alright nerves are kicking in and so is excitement i will make sure i post picture for you all since you cant attend it supposed to be a small wedding 35 to 40 people but it should be a fun exciteing time probilly the biggest halloween party i have ever been to but any ways i am just touching base so you all know i have not fallen off the face of the earth again

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
All our best wishes to you, blues, and congratulations to your husband-to-be! Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Blues, I know your mom will be watching from heaven.

We're so happy for you and wish you much happiness in the future. You surely deserve it.

[For those of you who joined Wordcraft after 2004, Blues is Morgan's daughter. Morgan, along with Shufitz, Asa, and I, developed this site. However, it was really Morgan's inspiration that got us started.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I had nothing to do with actually establishing this site; I merely rode in on the powerful backdraught of the three founders. Still, I was here pretty much ab initio.

Best wishes, Blues!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, you were extremely supportive, posted a lot (which we needed with 4 members!), and were a great friend to all of us. So, yes, I'd say you were a major factor in our development. Put in on your resume!

posted Hide Post
at 347 pm i was kissed and announced mrs robert ritenour ill post pictures later my mom was there in spirit so im quite happy all turned out well

posted Hide Post
Congratulations, blues, to both of you.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
posted pictures of the wedding in the pictures fourum for thoose interested