Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Back to front?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to front? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I was watching a you tube video by a sane rational human being commenting on a bunch of videos by less sane less rational human beings who believe that the Earth is flat or hollow or that we have a near invisible giant twin planet or a host of other patently absurd pieces of nonsense (that are covered up by vast worldwide conspiracies because of course they are.)

At one point he (the sane one) mentioned his own theory that any YouTube video whose title includes the word "truth" is probably full of ridiculous nonsense. Checking it out verifies it. Everything from chemtrails to to alleged pro-Trunp riots in Paris to faked moon landings to anti-vaxers showed up on page one of the search.

It made me think of other ways in which people use words to describe things that are their exact opposite.

Countries that calls themselves "The Democratic blah of blah" are Universally the least democratic on the planet*

People who feel the need to tell you how honest they are are almost inevitably trying to cheat you.

Anything that anyone calls "fake news" probably has a pretty good helping of truth in it.

Any sentence that begins with the words "I don't mean to be offensive but" is guaranteed to offend. Similarly "I'm not complaining but" is always a preface to a complaint.

Advertising that says "New and Improved" is unlikely to be either.

Can anyone think of more examples?

(* I look forward to the rebranding of the DUSA)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Incidentally I also once saw a video that debunked ten popular conspiracy theories. The most remarkable thing was the uniformity of the comments it attracted. Without exception they all said "Well done, nine of your debunkings are spot on. Nobody should believe that nonsense. But you are wrong about (insert conspiracy theory) because that one is true and here's why."

They were, of course, spread evenly across the ten theories he had debunked.

posted Hide Post
You've covered all I can think of at the moment.
Well done. Is "DUSA" the country in which I reside?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Is "DUSA" the country in which I reside?

It will be.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post