3. Bete Noire
4. Town Hall Meeting
5. Post-Truth
6. Guesstimate
7. 831
8. Historic
9. Manicured
10. Echo Chamber

That's the "official" list of words to be abolished this year. But I'd like to add my own most disiked term -- Breaking News. It seems every story, no matter how insignificant, merits this appellation.

Does anyone care to contribute their thoughts?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'd like to ban the words "banish" and "ban" and get rid of this kind of nonsense once and for all. Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides being the area code for Monterey, Californica, what's "831?" I'm also flummoxed by "post-truth." Who runs around saying, "echo chamber?" Shouldn't it be "bête noire?"

Who says this stuff, and why?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
831 apparently stands for "I love you" in texts. Why, I have no idea.

I think most of the others are over-used in journalese and/or political statements.

posted Hide Post
One I encountered this morning is "reach out." I'm beginning as a volunteer reading tutor in an elementary school. In one message the program's director twice used "reach out" instead of "contact," "call," "email," or other terms. I've seen it used by other "PC" sorts often before, and it does not leave a warm feeling in me when I see it.

<Proofreader>
posted
-I firs saw "reach out" on a TV crime show (possibly Law and Order) many years ago. Cops were always trying to reach out to someone for info or for arrest.

posted Hide Post
I often retch out. Maybe that explains my lack of social life. I'm also annoyed by "meme" and "emoji." Despite being told several times, I still don't understand "meme." Maybe it's a mondegreen for the River Nene?

posted Hide Post
LSSU has been making these lists for over 40 years. As you can see from the archives their bans always work and the words are never ever used again.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. I've never heard a thing about the 2016 historic election or my beautifully manicured nails. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to add my own most disiked term -- Breaking News. It seems every story, no matter how insignificant, merits this appellation.
I agree. On Facebook just now I saw a post with an image saying "BREAKING NEWS" in a large font. The headline of the story said "Tilikum, the orca from Blackfish documentary has died, announce SeaWorld". If they used that in the paper copy of the paper, I wonder if they rushed out an extra edition? Razz

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This headline came up in my RSS feed, and I am embarrassed to say I believed it for a few seconds.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post