Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Ole Hoss
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ole Hoss Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
JT, in another thread, mentions the wonderful poem, The One Hoss Shay, by Oliver Wendell Holmes. Hoss is a great dialect spelling for horse where the r is dropped. (Cf. cuss for curse.) And shay is from the French word chaise, but with the final z-sound dropped. (Interestingly enough, the -se in French is pronounced, but here it dropped, perhaps as a hypercorrection, cf. the pronunciation of coup de grace as /kudəgra/ rather than the more accurate /kudəgras/.) Check out the rest of the poem for excellent examples of dialect spellings. Chaise itself has a fascinating history in that it is a phonetic variant of chaire, from Gk καθεδρα (kathedra); two homonyms in French, chair 'flesh' and cher 'dear', may have had an effect. In English, the French term chaise longue was borrowed into English where it is commonly mispronounced /ʃej(z)launʤ/, i.e., chais-lounge.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote: Hoss is a great dialect spelling for horse where the r is dropped.

OED lists 'hoss' as a word ("Dial. and U.S. var. of HORSE n.") and traces it back to 1815. This is well before the writing of author Holmes (1809-1894).

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to imply that Holmes coined it, but that he used it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned a poem in school about 45 years ago (YIKES !!) called "The Wonderful One Horse Shay. At least, that's how I remember the title. I was about a guy who set out to build a perfect sleigh with no single component weaker than any other, and it lasted 100 years and all the parts failed simultaneously. Could this be the same poem? Help an old man here....

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Duncan,

That's the one. Zmj's link above (repeated here) gives the text (and illustrations!)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post