Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Turing's centennial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turing's centennial Login/Join

posted
Supposedly the "father of the digital age" would be 100 today were he alive. I've never understood all those ones and zeros. All I ever get from digital devices is the middle digit.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Don't know much about the digital age wither, but I try to do my bit.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just took a byte outa my logic.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
O!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
What is probably more important, and less well-known, is that Turing is one of the "backroom" heroes of WW2, whose activities at Bletchley Park helped to ensure that all of Europe (and possibly the USA) is not now speaking German. http://www.turing.org.uk/turing/

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
What is probably more important, and less well-known, is that Turing is one of the "backroom" heroes of WW2, whose activities at Bletchley Park helped to ensure that all of Europe (and possibly the USA) is not now speaking German.

Important to us, but what do the Germans think?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Bletchley Park

Important as it was, I can't help thinking that a name like that just had to have been dreamed up by someone like Rowan Adkinson. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's an e-petition running to put Alan Turing on the reverse of the next issue of 10 pound bank notes. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31659

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Bletchley Park

Important as it was, I can't help thinking that a name like that just had to have been dreamed up by someone like Rowan Adkinson. Wink

It's not an especially strange name by British standards.

And it still exists - http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

But one of the few that's pronounced like it's spelled. Chumley, indeed.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
While that site you linked to called Turing the "Founder of Computer Science," as with most discoveries and inventions, there were many involved with the development of computers, all the way back to 2700 BC.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the implication was that Turing invented the programmable computer (this acolade is generally given to Charles Babbage) but that Turing was the first to study computers and their applications as a separate science.

It's a bit like robotics. The term "robot" had been in existence since 1920, when the Czech author Karel Čapek used the term for mechanical men in his book "R.U.R.", which stood for stands for Rossum's Universal Robots. However, the study of robots and the name "robotics" to describe such study was invented by Isaac Asimov.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:

But one of the few that's pronounced like it's spelled. Chumley, indeed.

Certainly we do have some eccentric spellings (as does the USA) - but the overwhelming majority of places are pronounced as they are written.

Cholmondley, Belvoir and Leicester are well-known examples of the former; London, Liverpool and Manchester are well-known examples of the letter.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Speaking of under-rated geniuses: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny...but it makes a good point. There are very few discoveries/inventions by one person.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Stephen Fry recognises Tesla's work, and he even has a nerdgasm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovD21KbSDM#t=9m50s

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The claim that Tesla's contributions went unrecognized or were underrated by mainstream science is a bit of howler: the SI unit for magnetic field strength is the Tesla (T), putting him in the company of Newton, Kelvin, Watt, Hertz, Faraday, Pascal and Becquerel.

Also, Turing would have been remembered as just another one of the thousands of smart people who worked at Bletchley Park had it not been for his invention of the Turing Machine, a mechanism that could calculate any computable number or function. Alonzo Church had earlier come up with the Lambda Calculus, which was a small set of axiomatic functions that could be combined to calculate any computable number or function, but there was no obvious way to turn the Lambda Calculus into a machine. A Turing machine can actually be built (you can see one here), and the architecture of almost every CPU is based on it: the program counter is the read head, the squares are memory addresses, the symbols are bytes stored in the memory addresses, and the tape is the memory.

Turing's breathtaking insight was that this architecture wasn't just a souped-up adding machine, it was a universal machine that could do anything.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interested readers can find Turing's original paper On Computable Numbers, With an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those great links, Neveu. The YouTube was really interesting. You don't stop by often, but I love it when you do!

I found that Entscheidungsproblem means "decision problem." Why does the word have English and German?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Alonzo Church had earlier come up with the Lambda Calculus

And, we oughtn't to forget that Alonzo Church was Turing's PhD adviser at Princeton in the late '30s.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Z. I knew he had been at Princeton but didn't know Church was his advisor.
I forgot to add an obligatory word-related reference: the use of cumbrous on the first page of Turing's paper.

posted Hide Post
Not really obligitory in this thread, since it's only tangentially word-related!

Thanks for the great info! But despite the SI unit, the guy on the street knows Edison, and thinks he invented air, fire, earth, and water, and that Tesla is a car or a rock band.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I knew he had been at Princeton but didn't know Church was his advisor.

I found out when browsing the fantastic Mathematics Genealogy site (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a great site, z. I even found some Spectors there! Fascinating.

posted Hide Post
quote:
the guy on the street knows Edison, and thinks he invented air, fire, earth, and water, and that Tesla is a car or a rock band.

Yeah, but the guy on the street doesn't know who Henry, Ohm, Sievert, Joule, Ampere, Weber, Celsius, or Coulomb are either.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of under-rated geniuses: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

As it happens I have just been reading "The Man Who Invented the Twentieth Century" by Robert Lomas, which makes all these points and more.

Edison, of course, was a supremely ruthless businessman most of whose inventions were actually the inventions of others (either those in his inventing team or those of outsiders like Tesla). Edison's genius was not that of invention but that of selling his ideas - many of which were not as good as others' ideas - DC current supply and cylinder phonographs to name but two.

Few people ever got the better of Edison who was happy to steal others' ideas, usually without compensating them. One of the few who got the better of him was the inventor of the incandescemnt light bulb, Joseph Swan, who saw Edison off in the courts.

But, even so, most people still believe that Edison invented the light bulb - even though Swan was selling his bulbs before Edison even had one that worked. The first public building in the world to be lit by incandescent light bulbs was the Savoy Theatre, in London, using Swan's bulbs.

Tesla, being a modest and unassuming man stood no chance against sophisticated businessmen like Edison and some other Americans; it is interesting the speculate what might have happened had he chosen to make his home in a less commercially-driven country than the USA.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Yes, it's interesting to speculate about such things. One wonders what other contributions Turing might have made had he not be hounded to suicide (or assassinated, as many believe) by the British government.

posted Hide Post
Or if Tesla had been a businessman.

posted Hide Post
I suppose Tesla did have one last laugh - he has a unit - the SI unit for magnetic field strength - named after him. So far as I am aware, there is no such thing as an "Edison".

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:

Yeah, but the guy on the street doesn't know who Henry, Ohm, Sievert, Joule, Ampere, Weber, Celsius, or Coulomb are either.

Which brings up another question: Why did the public switch from saying "centigrade" to saying "Celsius?" It seems to have changed in the sixties or so. I'm sure Anders Celsius would call it "centigrade," since that describes it. Oh, and Coulomb: He's the guy who wrongly gets credit for discovering America. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Coulomb: He's the guy who wrongly gets credit for discovering America.

No, that was Columbo who discovered America while investigating a murder.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

No, that was Columbo who discovered America while investigating a murder.[/QUOTE] No, no, no! He designed Farrari's famous v12 engines! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Colombo_engine