Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    American daily Web searches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American daily Web searches Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted

Question:
There was an interesting article in the Chicago Tribune this morning entitled "Web Words Become a Lucrative Market." In it they mention how companies are swarming to have their names and ads appear next to Internet search results, and now there is a burgeoning marketplace for search words, phrases and brand names. For example, Progressive Insurance pays $8.08 each time somebody clicks on its ad after searching the phrase "car insurance." "Laptop" sells for $2.02 per click, while "franchise" goes for $5 and "Internet service provider" for $6. "Financial help" fetches $5.76, although "financial advice" only brings in $2.72.

The prices for such words are set through auction-style bidding in which class-action attorneys have run up the word "Vioxx" to $16.50 per click, while "mesothelioma," a cancer caused by asbestos exposure, goes for $39.08.

In that interesting article (hmm, I wonder who would pay for "wordcraft" searches? Wink), they cited the number of Internet searches per month in the U.S. It was mindboggling to me!

Which do you think it is (please don't look it up!):

Choices:
3 trillion
280 million
146 million
4 billion

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sheesh...only 5 answers? Forget it! I am not going to post the correct answer until we have a few more participants here. Roll Eyes Razz

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, fine...you're no fun at all! Razz Roll Eyes

The correct answer is 4 billion.