Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Webster Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I found this website describing how Noah Webster was instrumental in changing the spelling of some words, but here are other changes that he had wanted:
wimmen
imagin
definit
tung
hed
thum
improovment
iz
Richard, I am beginning to see your point about not liking Webster's Dictionary; frankly, I've never liked mine, but then it may just be one of the cheaper ones (I got it at work).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's not really popular one here - although that's only reasonable seeing as though it's a US publication.

Of course, we have Oxford and several others from which to choose.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
...but here are other changes that he had wanted:
_wimmen_

It's odd how Webster's spellings, while both sensible and logical, are now only used to convey a backwardness on the part of the speaker. "Wimmen" reminded me of the old epitath supposedly used on a headstone somewhere in the Appalachias ("hillbilly" country):

Ma loved Pa.
Pa loved wimmin.
Ma caught Pa
With 2 in swimmin.

Here lies Pa.

Probably apocryphal but still...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh! And here I always use my "trusty, never dusty, Webster's" as my quick source for words! roll eyes

So, let me ask my fellow logophiles, what hard copy dictionary should I invest in?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Of course the OED is the gold standard, though a bit unwieldy for the home. I use my library's copy when necessary. However, I adore my husband's leather-bound 3rd Edition American Heritage Dictionary. The usage notes are usually excellent. I have never liked my Webster's Dictionary; it doesn't have the breadth or depth that his AHD has. Now--perhaps our fellow Brits prefer the Oxford Dictionary? I am curious--which one?

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sun Jan 12th, 2003 at 13:19.]

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
At home I have the Concise, as it is small enough to fit easily on a shelf and comprehensive enough to contain most of the lexicographical information I am likely to need. Obviously, though, its definitions are fairly short - concise would be the most appropriate word for them, I suggest.

However, we have a local library where I can, if I wish, consult the full version.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Morgan, did you ever get your hard copy dictionary?

Somewhat belatedly, I strongly reccomend The American Heritage Dictionary largely for the "usage panel" notes which are both extremely useful and entirely readable on their own, especially if you are the word lover I assume you to be. And "Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary" is essential as well.

There's always the OED, of course, if the AHD is unavailable. I understand they carry 197 definitions for "set" and 213 for "beer."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Morgan, did you ever get your hard copy dictionary?
Actually, CJ, I am still looking for something worth getting. I did, however get a number of dictionaries for the holidays, including Mrs. Byrnes, Grandiloquent, The Devil's Dictionary (thanks shufitz and Kalleh), and The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate. I also found a charming copy of The American Everyday Dictionary copyright 1947. Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
YES, this thread is open now! (It doesn't take much to excite me! Big Grin)

The revised Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary adds 10,000 words and 100,000 meanings. Here are some of the new entries:
bludge - goof off
comb-over - an attempt to cover a bald spot
dead-cat bounce - a brief, insignificant recovery after a steep decline
McJob - low-paying and dead-end work
headbanger - hard rock musician and fan
Frankenfood - genetically engineered food
dead presidents - paper money
long neck - beer served in a bottle with a long neck (I know Richard will like this one!)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
_comb-over_ - an attempt to cover a bald spot
As in Mae West's famous come-on to elderly suitors: "Why doncha come-over and see me sometime?"

_dead-cat bounce_ - a brief, insignificant recovery after a steep decline
This one deserves a bit of explanation for those to whom it might be a new term. When the price of a stock plummets due to the company going into massive financial ruin it may, for example, drop from $50 to $1 a share and then rise again to $2 or $3 a share simply because some people will by any stock that cheap, particularly if it's been higher before, in the hope that any rise will yield a profit. The very sage advice against this practice (and the metaphor from which the term was born) is that "Any dead cat will bounce a bit if dropped from a sufficient height" or, in other words, just because the stock rises somewhat, it definitely does not mean it is "alive" again and worthy of your investment. Great term!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
So, let me ask my fellow logophiles, what hard copy dictionary should I invest in?

The dictionary I use most is the AHD, but why limit yourself to just one? Jack Lynch gives his opinion:

Dictionaries.

No writer can survive without a good dictionary. I'm fond of the American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed.; it not only provides clear definitions, but refers controversial usage questions to a panel of experts who vote on whether they're acceptable. (It's also available for free on-line.) For more serious historical work, there's nothing like the Oxford English Dictionary (or OED, as it's universally known) — this twenty-volume juggernaut not only provides remarkably comprehensive definitions, but it shows how words have been used throughout their history. Anyone who writes for a living — or even a hobby — should get to know the OED.

But although dictionaries are indispensable, you have to know how to use them. Be careful not to accord to them more authority than they claim for themselves: they're works of reference put together by people, not stone tablets engraved by God. The old argument that something is "not a word" because it doesn't appear in "the" dictionary (as if there were only one dictionary), for instance, is downright silly. Any pronounceable combination of letters to which someone assigns a meaning can be called a word; the question is whether it's a good word — by which, of course, I mean an appropriate word. Many dictionaries list words like ain't or irregardless; that doesn't mean you can use them with impunity in formal writing. Pay close attention to the usage notes — "Nonstandard," "Slang," "Vulgar" — and be sure you choose the right word.

Dictionaries are also more concerned with denotations than connotations, and you're a fool if you think a dictionary entry amounts to a Get-out-of-Jail-Free card in any writing problem. Some dictionary may define gook as an Asian or queen as a gay man, but you can point to the dictionary all you like ("It's sense 3b!") without convincing anyone it's appropriate or inoffensive. Be sensitive to the associations your words carry to your audience.

Avoid, by the way, referring to "Webster's," which has no specific meaning — any dictionary can use the name. Merriam-Webster, on the other hand, is a specific company that produces well-regarded dictionaries. Besides, dictionary definitions at the beginnings of papers rarely add anything to the discussion. A favorite line from The Simpsons, where Homer wins the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence: "Webster's Dictionary defines 'excellence' as 'The quality or condition of being excellent.'

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post