Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Having some fun with etymology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having some fun with etymology Login/Join

posted
Follow the links for "merkin" here: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=merkin
You Oz dwellers should get a laugh!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Isn't that a George W Bushism?

"My fellow merkins..."

Is that why he's named Bush?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"My fellow merkins..."

Remember, the US president (one of three roles played by Peter Sellers) in Dr Strangelove was named Merkin Muffley.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Dr Strangelove was named Merkin Muffley.

Do you think that an accident?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Would be an interesting way to get rid of body lice. [You'd have to read Geoff's link to get an idea of what I'm talking about.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a lawyer in Chicago named Leonard Malkin I wonder if he's a friend of Bush?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
And some more fun: Etymologically speaking, prostitutes are outstanding women! http://www.etymonline.com/inde...e&allowed_in_frame=0

<Proofreader>
posted
Kellogg'a ia making a variation of Rice Crispies which they have named Prostitooties. The cereal doesn't snap, crackle or pop, just bangs.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of merkin, I am reading a fun (not intellectual, I am sorry to say) book entitled, "The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder." I am thinking the author didn't use merkin correctly here:
quote:
The electrocardiogram (EKG) contains an incredible amount of information. Blood comes in the top of the heart and flows out the bottom, pushed by the squeezing of the chambers, atria to ventricle. The squeeze is triggered by an electric impulse. The EKG translates those electrical pulses into a picture, drawn by an inked needle jerking across rolling paper.

Usually, Charlie explained all this as he applied the electrodes to the taut rib cages of the elderly, the dry eraser nipples, the merkin of hair.
What do you think?

<Proofreader>
posted
Obviously has no idea what it actually refers to. See this, or not.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know. Shu agrees that the author used it wrong, but I wondered if maybe we've missed something.

<Proofreader>
posted
In some places, you cannot laugh at one, not can you even giggle if if you encounter one. There is no merkin smirkin'.

posted Hide Post
As the obscure Roman physician Symphysis Pubis once said, "These merkin jokes get cilia and cilia."

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
merkin

Besides, the eye dialect word for American and the "pubic wig" meaning, some dictionaries list another meaning: "a mop for cleaning cannons". The things one discovers looking stuff up.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect General Hooker's merkin wearers cleaned many an artilleryman's cannon.