Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    The Whistled Word -- Silbo Gomero
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Whistled Word -- Silbo Gomero Login/Join

posted
I just read about this language today. It consists of 2 vowels, 4 consonants and over 4000 words, all communicated by whistles. The whistles stimulated the portions of the left brain involved in language production and comprehension in those who "spoke" Silbo, but not in those who didn't "speak" the language. Here's a UW article and a Wikipedia article about it.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is so cool! I must learn this! Thanks so much for the articles, Tinny. I have a friend who always whistles and says things in his whistles, but I never had any idea there was a real language somewhere. I can't wait to call and tell him!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am reviving a 2005 post about Silbo Gomero by Tinman because someone sent me this link today. It sounds like a great idea for those places that don't have Internet accessibility.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post