Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    ! Words related to LIGHT !
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

! Words related to LIGHT ! Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone! Smile

Can you think of any words related to light? [Here are a few I found on the internet:]

------------------------------------------

Dazzle v.
Make unable to see clearly or act normally because of too much light. (car headlights) EG. I'm sick and tired of motorists who dazzle the oncoming traffic because they are too lazy to switch to low-beam. Fig. Do something so well that it is incredible, eg, Maradonna put on a dazzling display of ball skills in the cup final. Carmenchu dazzled the examiner with her exceptional knowledge of phrasal verbs.

Flash n.
Sudden burst of light. The flash of lightning was so strong that it lit up the street for two or three seconds.

Flicker v.
Burn or shine unsteadily. (candle, old Charlie Chaplin film, stroboscope) EG: The candle flickered in the wind.

Glimmer v.
Emit a weak uncertain light. The only thing I could see was the glimmer from the luminous dial of my alarm clock. Fig. A glimmer of hope. eg. The last glimmer of hope faded of finding any survivors in the mining disaster when the search was called off after four days.

Glint n.
A small flash of light, usually a reflection on steel or shiny surfaces e.g King Arthur's sword glinted in the sunlight as he led his troops into battle.

Glisten v.
Shine brightly, especially on wet or polished surfaces (tear-stained cheek, morning dew. EG: His forehead glistened with sweat.

Glow v.
Send out light or warmth without flame. (cigarette end, red poker) EG: The fire had gone out but the embers were still glowing.

Shimmer v.
Shine with a wavering or soft light. (moonlight or sea,) The moonlight shimmered on the sea.

Sparkle v.
Send out flashes of light. (a diamond) The Queen's diamond necklace sparkled as she entered the room.

Spark n.
A flash of light produced by the breaking of an electrical current. EG:The electric heater started to spark so I turned it off.

Twilight n.
Faint half-light before sunrise or after sunset. EG. I could just make out the face of our new companion in the twilight.

Twinkle v.
Shine with a light that gleams unsteadily. (stars, street lights from a long distance) EG: Our first sight of land was the twinkling harbour lights.

[And, here are some more I can think of:]

Scintillate v.
To sparkle, flash, or twinkle. (Or, to emit something as these things.)

Brilliance n.
Great brightness; luster.

Constellation n.
A configuration of lights of great brightness.

Galaxy n.
A vast, bright assemblage of lights.

Shining a.
radiant; gleaming; bright

Luster n.
radiance or luminous brightness; brilliance; radiance

Radiant a.
emitting rays of light; shining; bright

Radiance n.
quality of emitting rays of light; quality of shining; quality of being bright

Illustrious a.
luminous; bright

Luminous a.
radiating or reflecting light; shining; bright; lighted up or illuminated; well-lit

Luminescence n.
the emission of light not caused by incandescence and occurring at a temperature below that of incandescent bodies; the light produced by such an emission

Luminance n.
a measurement of the amount of light reaching a specific point from another specific point

Luminaire n.
the entire lighting unit, including one or more electric lamps with all of the necessary parts and wiring

Illuminance n.
a measurement of the quantity of light falling onto a surface

Exitance n.
a measurement of the total quantity of light leaving a surface; the number of lumens of light that leave a source or surface

Illuminate v.
to supply or brighten with light; light up; supply with lights

Phototropic v.
attracted toward or responding to a source of light

Photon n.
a quantum of electromagnetic radiation, usually considered as an elementary particle that is its own antiparticle and that has zero rest mass and charge and a spin of one

Light n.
visible radiant energy

Lumen n.
the fundamental piece of light; the unit of luminous flux, equal to the luminous flux emitted in a unit solid angle by a point source of one candle intensity

Footcandle n.
a unit of illuminance or illumination, equivalent to the illumination produced by a source of one candle at a distance of one foot and equal to one lumen incident per square foot

Footlambert n.
the english unit of luminance

Bright a.
radiating or reflecting light; luminous; shining; filled with light

Brightness n.
the subjective perception of how much light is apparent

Dim a.
not bright; obscure from lack of light or emitted light

Gloom n.
total or partial darkness; dimness

Contrast n.
the relation between the luminance of an object or area of interest and that of its immediate background; mathematically, the difference between the luminances divided by the luminance of the background

Dark a.
possessing a low quantity of light

Matte a.
having the property of diffusing reradiated incident light (light falling onto a surface)

Reflectance n.
that percentage of incident light (light falling onto a surface) which is reradiated in the visual spectrum

(Visual) Signal n.
the portion of the luminous environment that is relevant, desirable, or needed

(Visual) Noise n.
undesirable or disagreeable stimuli from the luminous environment which confuse, obscure, or compete with a signal

Value n.
an index of lightness or darkness of a color, measured on a scale from white (high) to black (low)

Specular a.
having the reflective properties of a mirror

Glare n.
an interference with visual perception caused by an uncomfortably bright light source or reflection (a form of visual noise)

---------------------------------

Can you think of any other words related to light? All words are welcome, no matter how technical/scientific or abstract, as long as they're related to light. Also, perhaps you could post some interesting uses of the words in this thread. For example, use them to describe people!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: intuition,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, intuition. We just had a word, albedo, in the latest round of Daffynitions. "The fraction of incident electromagnetic radiation reflected by a surface, especially of a celestial body." (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Z, you have just renamed our Bluffing Game! I like it!

Geoff

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Geoff, it seems I was confused by an aging brain. Daffynitions are something else (link). Ah, well.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Nevertheless, we can use it in our own way. After all, I've been describing the Bluffing Game faux definitions as "daffynitions" since I began a similar game on AWAD some years ago. (I doubt there's any mention of my starting it there, but I did, although the hotshots there co-opted it and named it "Hogwash") I really do like "Daffynitions" as the name for this game!

Geoff

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
You are free to make of it what you will. Full speed ahead and damn the verbal anarchy!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, intuition! One of our first topics on this board, in August of 2002, can be found here, related to clarify and elucidate.

[As an aside, our Safi was a poster from France who came in like a bolt of lightening, posting all over the place...and left just as quickly. I contacted him after he left, hoping he'd come back, but he said he didn't have the time. Too bad, because he was a delight.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Of course, there is the opposite of light which is unheavy.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post