Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

from the news Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
I at first read too quickly and, seeing “horsey” in today’s word, wondered if the word came from the notion of a rider on horse’s back. It doesn’t, of course, but the mis-image is a mnemonic.

phoresy – an association between two organisms in which one is carried on the body of the other, without being a parasite
    Scientists have produced amazing three-dimensional images of a prehistoric mite as it hitched a ride on the back of a 50-million-year-old spider. The study sets a minimum age of almost 50 million years for the evolution among these mites of phoretic, or hitchhiking, behaviour using another animal species. Manchester biologist Dr Richard Preziosi said: "Phoresy is where one organism uses another animal of a different species for transportation to a new environment."
    . . .[B]arely visible to the naked eye, the mite -- trapped inside Baltic amber (fossil tree resin) -- is believed to be the smallest arthropod fossil ever to be scanned using X-ray computed tomography (CT) scanning techniques.
    – ScienceDaily, Nov. 8, 2011 (ellipses omitted)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
hypothermia – abnormally low body temperature

Typically life-threatening. And yet, …
    Trauma surgeons soon will try plunging some critically injured people into a deep chill — cooling their body temperatures as low as 50 degrees — in hopes of saving their lives. Many trauma patients have injuries that should be fixable but they bleed to death before doctors can patch them up. The new theory: Putting them into extreme hypothermia just might allow them to survive without brain damage for about an hour so surgeons can do their work.
    – Associated Press, Nov. 14, 2011

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
piloerection – hair standing on end
I’m not sure how this differs from horripilation. Smile
    In a dome-shaped outdoor cage, a dozen chimpanzees are hooting. The hair on their shoulders sticks straight up. “That’s piloerection,” a sign of emotional arousal, says Dr. Dana Hasselschwert, head of veterinary sciences … . She tells a visitor to keep his distance. The chimps tend to throw pebbles — or worse — when they get excited.
    – New York Times, Nov. 15, 2011

posted Hide Post
WHAT is being raised is the same -- pilus, hair.

HOW it is being raised differs. Erect relates to regis, led, guided up. Horri related to horror, lifted by that emotion.

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Today’s press misused a word. It should have said satrapy, not satrap.

satrapy – an area ruled over by a subordinate official; implies one given to tyranny or of ostentatious display
    But as with so many of Burma's neighbors, the story behind this sudden rapprochement with the West may also include its deteriorating relationship with China. …. In recent years Beijing has treated Burma as a satrapy to be exploited for its natural resources. … China has a habit of treating its smaller neighbors, however accommodating, as vassal states.
    – Wall Street Journal, Nov. 21, 2011 (mis-usage corrected)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Arvanitis:
WHAT is being raised is the same -- pilus, hair.

HOW it is being raised differs. Erect relates to regis, led, guided up. Horri related to horror, lifted by that emotion.

I think the meaning of both words is pretty much the same. horripilation: a bristling of the hair of the head or body (as from disease, terror, or chilliness)

piloerection: involuntary erection or bristling of hairs due to a sympathetic reflex usually triggered by cold, shock, or fright or due to a sympathomimetic agent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
upscale craigslisting: "Phoretic Host Desired" Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today’s press misused a word. It should have said satrapy, not satrap.

Interesting. I see that one of the citations for the 2005 word, satrap, linked to above is of the Milli Gazette making the opposite mistake:
quote:
... the neo cons will no doubt also be counting on a lot of help from their regional proxy and satrap, Israel.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw a news item saying that Dick Cheney has had a heart transplant. How many years did he go without one?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, you first need one to transplant. So his was an implant.

Big Grin

One thing I can say from experience (in the profession and not on the receiving end) is that it's no bowl of cherries having a heart transplant. However, at age 71, Cheney is older than most who receive heart transplants. The problem is that there are many more recipients than donors so selection of which patients receive hearts is an ethical one. I don't really agree with that article I linked to. From my experience (I used to work with transplant patients), the older patients have more comorbidity issues and do more poorly. I don't think Cheney would have received the transplant had he been a normal person.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I had to look up "comorbidity" and found it means "The coexistence of two or more disease processes". Or as I, being a non-medical man would have put it, "Older people tend to have more things wrong with them"Wink

I wrote a limerick to define aging:

When aging a man calmly faces
The fact he'll no longer win races.
But the bitterest pill
Is he find that he still
Gets stiff - but in all the wrong places.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
masterly Smile

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister was showing me this article today, Munich Security Conference, and I came across the word illiberalism. I don't recall ever seeing that word before this article. My sister hadn't either. So, we looked it up.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of it either. Interesting.

From that site, I found this so embarrassing, being under the Trump regime and all:
quote:
Instead of waiting in fear of the next Trump tweet, we Europeans should lay the foundations for a Europe that is strong, capable of taking action, and committed to Western values," argues MSC chairman Wolfgang Ischinger in an...

<Proofreader>
posted
We should follow Europe's example.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no getting around one thing. We live in interesting times.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am thinking they are similar times to those in the 70s when Nixon was president.