Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Grasping For A Word--Please Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grasping For A Word--Please Help Login/Join

posted
First the example text; then my question (sorry for the length):

You will ask rhetorically, "But why do you have to state such things?" I will reply, "Why does anyone have to state anything? Does all rhetoric emanate from a utilitarian base? Shall my speech conform to cognitive communism? No classes or ranks?" I'll further ask why you, who recognize that you're not extraordinary, speak as if you know, when all you know is how to regurgitate that which adheres to a philosophy where truth is marked by the intersection of what is most emotionally appealing with what is most popular; this is nothing more than a subconscious calculation of the greatest geometric mean of your emotions, where negative integers aren't even considered, and where you only look to maximize emotional area--a Euclidean betrayal of truth.
Apropos the averaging, perhaps it's more accurate to say you calculate subconsciously the greatest common factor of your emotions, i.e., the first-order emotional relationship of you to yourself with the second-order emotional relationship of you to the world. Whatever mathematical nomenclature is applied, the point is that truth is evaluated from a purely emotional perspective, which ipso facto negates any possible validity.

Question: Is there a word that expresses the synthesis of two factors where the greatest amount of each factor is desired? I tried to elucidate this idea using geometry and arithmetic--in truth I was envisioning a Castesian coordinate plane with one factor on the x-axis and the other on y-axis--but I feel like there must be a powerful word (or words) that expresses this idea concisely.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I see nobody has attempted to answer you, which is unusual on this forum. My own reason for not answering is not that I am short of words but simply that I can't really understand the concept you are describing. Maybe if you could give us an example...?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Are you asking for a word similar to "optimize/optimise" but meaning "maximum of all variables" rather than "best combination of all variables"?

How about (and I'm sort of making this up) co-maximisation?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
but simply that I can't really understand the concept you are describing. Maybe if you could give us an example...?
That was the reason I didn't answer. I wasn't clear on the question.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question: Is there a word that expresses the synthesis of two factors where the greatest amount of each factor is desired?

Thank you very much for your responses. BobHale has the right idea with optimize, but I need a word that also connotes the idea of compromise between factors where an inverse relationship exists such that an increase in the amount of one factor renders a decrease in the amount of another. Example: If you have 10x, then you only have 1y, and they factor to 10, but if you 5x then you get 5y, and they factor to 25.