Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Miscellaneous words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miscellaneous words Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
I’d bet that 80% of adults in the US have run into the passage I quote (is it equally widespread in the UK?) – yet you won’t find today’s word in any major dictionary.

Enjoy the original passage here, beginning just before the 15:00 mark.
    Since you saved my life you decided you have the right to run it. You’ve utzed me along every step of the way. You’ve hammered, drove, pushed, shoved, and if that wasn’t enough, you’d looked at me with those great big cow eyes of yours … and I’d melt and go along.
    . . . [Interlocutor: Well, I don’t expect any gratitude.]
    . . . Well, you’re going to get it. We did great, and I’m grateful. So thank you. Thank you, Phil Davis, from the bottom of my heart. Now will you let the rest of my life alone?
utz – to goad, prod and nudge with annoying persistence (“like a pebble in a shoe,” says one source) in a toward a particular course
[from Yiddish]

posted Hide Post
Probably related to German uzen "to tease".

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
The newspaper weatherman answers a query about a familiar sight.
    The "Man in the Moon" is an illusion familiar to many cultures, and it is an example of pareidolia: the psychological phenomenon in which our brain interprets random images as something recognizable..
    – Tom Skilling, Chicago Tribune, December 26, 2010
Another term for pareidolia is apophenia.

posted Hide Post
In rummaging about in some old left-behind bottles and jars, I cme across an empty "Utz Pickles" jar. Weird!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post