Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Pacific Northwest accent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Northwest accent Login/Join

posted
Read about the Pacific Northwest accent here and listen to it here .

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a native South Carolinian who spent most of my life in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) I cannot agree with the linguist from that link. I hear distinct differences between "cot" and caught," etc. My relatives have a much stronger accent (pronounced "akseyunt")than do old-time Northwesterners. I suspect the professor interviewed newcomers, not old-timers.

Newcomers bring their accents with them and they reflect the speech of their peer group as well. If their leader's from Boston, pretty soon they'll all sound like Click and Clack, no matter where they're from.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add (having never hobnobbed w/NW'r's) except that the accent I hear on the links sounds pretty much like that of San Franciscans I have knosmn.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Tinman. But I thought it was a given that everyone has an accent. After all, those from NY, for example, see their accents as normal so wouldn't they think we have an accent? It just seems to make sense to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can really hear a difference between Northern and Southern Indiana residents. Northern folks sound much as I do; Southern ones sound VERY Southern, having a strong drawl.

<Proofreader>
posted
Thank gawd we don't tahk funny aroun' heah.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - I'd like to hear you, Proof. Rhode Islanders are the worst/strongest (?) of the New England accents.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Rhode Islanders are the worst/strongest (?) of the New England accents.

I guess you've nevah been to Down East Maine.

posted Hide Post
Wiley Miller's comic strip, Non Sequitur, often features people speaking with a Maine accent.

<Proofreader>
posted
Many years ago, there was a radio program which featured a man who would listen to audience members and then attempt to name their state of origin from their accents. He was often quite specific and supposedly very accurate. I wasn't totally convinced that it wasn't a set-up until I became better acquainted with regional variations. Then I realized just how good he was, assuming it wasn't a set-up.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've never thought Maine had much of an accent. It must be the Down East that matters?