Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Agnotology Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This seems to be a new word being used to describe intentional lying or telling half-truths in order to keep people ignorant of the truth to further a political agenda. Ever hear of it? Here's a Wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnotology

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Asa, and it's a concept we seem to be talking about in a couple of other threads (related to knowledge of language).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It was this week's "Erroneous Science" theme that to some degree prompted my bringing it up.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It sounds a little too close to the word "agnostics" to me. I just went to the OED to look up "agnostics" and found this definition, which gave that word a real different feel for me:
quote:
One who holds that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (so far as can be judged) unknowable, and especially that a First Cause and an unseen world are subjects of which we know nothing.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the etymology of this word? Perhaps its inventor intended it to be connected with agnostic, but then where's the s, and why was it first spelled agnatology?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,