Find
Notify
Tools

"short-lived" Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
quote:
Her euphoria was short-lived.
live can be pronounced to rhyme with hive, or to rhyme with give.

Question:
How would you pronounce it as the last syllable of the sentence above? Is this a UK/US thing?

Choices:
rhymes with hive; I'm a Brit
rhymes with hive; I'm a USn
rhymes with give; I'm a Brit
rhymes with give; I'm a USn

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In the Chicago Tribune they used to have a section called "Tempo." Recently it has been changed to "Live!" Neither Shu nor I know how they want us to pronounce it. It's funny because some days we say it with a short "i," while on others we say it with the long "i." I've even thought about calling the Tribune to ask what they'd intended.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
No offense meant but why does it matter as long as the intent come through? This appears to be a bit of navel-gazing.

I believe you are trying to offend, and I would ask you to tone it down. If you're not interested in the subject matter under discussion then please do not join the discussion.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'd tend to go with the short "i" for the "Live!" section until otherwise instructed.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If they aded more column space, would it be Liver!?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense meant but why does it matter as long as the intent come through? This appears to be a bit of navel-gazing.
This, being a word and language board, is for those who have all kinds of questions and intriguing thoughts about words, phrases, cliches, grammar, etc. If this sort of discussion doesn't intrigue you, it might not be the place for you. I am sure, for example, I'd not be intrigued by sports (maybe basketball!) or gambling boards or boards about guns. However, there are tons of them, and their members love to discuss the nuances (which you might describe as "navel-gazing"). Each to one's own.

posted Hide Post
I am sure, for example, I'd not be intrigued by sports (maybe basketball!) or gambling boards or boards about guns. However, there are tons of them, and their members love to discuss the nuances (which you might describe as "navel-gazing"). Each to one's own.[/QUOTE]
The subtle presuppositions about my tastes and interests fails in every particular (my handle being JazzboCR, music would have been a good guess).
However being a reasonable gent, I'll refrain from posting hereafter, leaving y'all to swan around unmolestedly in this placid pond of passive-aggressive pedantry and occasional impenetrable prose.
Don't forget to tell the Very Liberal Gee Whillikers he can come back now--the coast is clear.

A vast sigh of relief and a mighty chorus of, "Glad that filthy bugger's gone!" ensues.

AMF
JazzboCR >> out.

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For the record, I was merely giving examples of other boards', ones I'd not be interested in, discussions where petty (in my opinion, but not theirs) nuances are discussed to death. That's all. Those references had nothing to do with any presuppositions of jazzbo. Indeed, he hasn't been around long enough that I'd know much about him.

posted Hide Post
Since he's gone, very liberal Gee Whillikers has resurfaced.

Not liberal enough to accept character assassination Geoff

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Is it French, spelled "guy" or is it a sled dog appellation?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The title of this thread brings a whole different meaning to this board at this time, doesn't it? Wink

posted Hide Post
Since "gee" means "right" when driving a farm animal, the appellation seems backwards.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post