Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lemon Chess Pie Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was looking for a recipe for a Thanksgiving pie, and my daughter sent me one for a Lemon Chess Pie. While I decided against making it, I was intrigued with the description of its origin.

They said there are several theories as to how these pies came by their name. Some say that "chess" is a corruption of "chest," meaning that these pies were so rich they could be stored in chests at room temperature.

Others offer a different explanation: It seems that long ago when a good plantation cook was asked what she was making, she replied, "Jes pie," which over time became "chess."

Still others insist that "chess" derives from "cheese," as in the English lemon "cheese" (or curd). According to food historian Karen Hess, "cheese" was spelled "chese" in seventeenth-century England. In her historical notes and commentaries for the 1984 facsimile edition of Mary Randolph's Virginia House-wife (1824), Hess writes: "Since the archaic spellings of cheese often had but one 'e' we have the answer to the riddle of the name of that southern favorite 'Chess Pie.'"

Does anyone know which of these stories, if any, is correct?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Lemon curd is often referred to as lemon cheese over here. I've never heard of lemon chess.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I've heard of "chess pie" but not "lemon chess pie." What is the recipe? Sounds as if it might be delicious. (I baked the traditional apple and pumpkin instead.)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Recipes

Thanks to Google ... once again

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course that's not the recipe I had. WM, I'll send it to you.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post