Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Reiquepublicae vs Republica
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reiquepublicae vs Republica Login/Join

posted
Diploma for a new graduate refers to the state as "Republica" but the US as "reiquepublicae"
Distinction in Latin?

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graduate from what institutions? The lowly public institution from which I graduated has done away completely with Latin. Originally its motto was, "Doctrina urbi serviat;" now it's plain old English, "Let knowledge serve the city." It seems Latin does not serve the city of Portland, Oregon.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daughter just graduated BU Law.

Near the top the diploma refers to "Republica" of Massachusetts.

Towards the bottom it cites "Reiquepublicae" of America.

Wondered if there's a distinction.

RJA

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Near the top the diploma refers to "Republica" of Massachusetts.Towards the bottom it cites "Reiquepublicae" of America.

The diplomas were bought at a discount due to typos.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Robert, and congratulations to your daughter!

When I look up Reiquepublicae in Google scholar, it just translates it as Reiquepublicae. Maybe our Latin scholar, arnie, will know?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's just a guess but I'd say they are trying to indicate singular for Massachusetts and plural (i.e. all the states) for America.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But why not Res Publica instead of Republica?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the whole Latin phrase?

posted Hide Post
In Republica Massachusettensi Senatus et Curatores Omnibus Ad Quo Hae Litterae Pervenerint Salutem in Domino Semptiernam...

Then

Datum ex aedibus Universitatis Die XVIII Mensis Maii Anno Salutis nostrae MMXIV Reiquepublicae Americanae CCXXXVIII

RJA

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
In Republica Massachusettensi Senatus et Curatores Omnibus Ad Quo Hae Litterae Pervenerint Salutem in Domino Semptiernam...ThenDatum ex aedibus Universitatis Die XVIII Mensis Maii Anno Salutis nostrae MMXIV Reiquepublicae Americanae CCXXXVIII

I think that's from a Harry Potter novel.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think "reiquepublucae" is the genitive of "resquepublica", a suffixed form of "respublica" ("public matter"), an older form of "republica".

"que" is "and". So "Anno Salutis nostrae MMXIV Reiquepublicae Americanae CCXXXVIII" is "in the year of our prosperty 2014 and of the American republic 238"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,