Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Bally butlers and tweenies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bally butlers and tweenies Login/Join

posted
On another forum a couple of Brits used the above terms. What were they talking about?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No idea.
Is there a context?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bally butlers and tweenies

Actually I think I do know. Were they talking about Downton Abbey or something of that nature?

A butler is the head of the household servants, "bally" is a way of saying "bloody" without actually using the word and "tweenies" are young girls employed as the lowest level of servant in a household - assisting the cook and other staff as required.

posted Hide Post
It could be an oblique Downton Abbey reference. See posts 7 and 8 in this model aeroplane forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums...thread.php?t=2071761

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
One def for "tweeny" is a maid who assists the cook in a British household. I have no idea what a "bally butler" is although I assume whoever he is, he is oversexed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
From the context it seems to be a reference to sex between those above stairs (the rich householders) and those below stairs (the servants).

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From the forum cited by Geoff:
quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
Constructing a baby? Dash it all, I thought that's what the bally butler was for......

The Colonel is obviously playing up to an online persona as a pompous and reactionary British army officer from the first half of the last century. See Colonel Blimp.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Colonel Blink was also a character in the Beezer comic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,