Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

use/utilize Login/Join

posted
Most of us consider the latter as only a snooty use of the former. However, "Utilize" oft implies being put to repeated use, esp for some unaccustomed purpose: Owing to the superior quality of its lead, that very brand and model of wooden pencil was subsequently utilized on our production line as a means for lubricating a certain hard-to-reach bearing

To me, "used" wouldn't quite fit there. However, when I discussed this with Laverne, she disagreed, indicating that the former would do just as well; and since she's much smarter than I, I'm wondering if I might be wrong

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people complain that utilize is nothing but a pretentious substitute for use. It is true that you can often replace utilize with use with no loss to anything but pomposity. There seems little advantage of using utilize instead of use in sentences such as Barbara utilized questionable methods in her analysis or We hope that many commuters will continue to utilize mass transit after the bridge has reopened.

But utilize can also mean "to find a profitable or practical use for." Thus the sentence The teachers were unable to use the new computers might mean only that the teachers were unable to turn the computers on, whereas The teachers were unable to utilize the new computers suggests that the teachers could not find ways to employ the computers in instruction.

[American Heritage Book of English Usage section 294.]

I've noticed that there seems to be few true synonyms. They may start out that way, but many seem to begin to subtly differ over time in meaning. I'll take a look-see at my other usage manuals.

A related question might be: Are the three nouns use, usage, and utilization different in meaning or necessary?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of us consider the latter as only a snooty use of the former.

Um...just try to use the word "use" in academia (at least in the U.S.); it immediately gets changed to "utilize."

I do agree with you, Zmj, that there really aren't many true synonyms when you really look at the meanings of words carefully. The problem often is that people don't carefully consider the use of words. To be honest, I had always thought that "utilize" and "use" were synonyms, but I can see the point.

I would think that "use" and "usage" are true synonyms, but that "utilization" would be similar to the American Heritage's description of "utilize."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't see that use and usage are the same.

For me usage is the way that something is used, while use is simply the fact that it was used.

Example.

I question the use of "use" in this sentence.

I question the usage of "use" in this sentence.

In the former I think I am questioning that you have used it at all, in the latter I am suggesting that you have used it wrongly.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel a difference among -- NOT between, cuz > 2! -- these words.

Examples:
"<blabla> is improper usage, and thus its use should be discouraged."
See if swapping those 2 doesn't feel 'off':
"<blabla> is improper use, and thus its usage should be discouraged."
And of course:
"<blabla> is improper utilization ..." just won't fly at all.

"We are devising workable utilization criteria for <blabla>."
I dunno; maybe "usage" would work here as well.

David

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There's also another use of use as a auxiliary verb: e.g., I used to read many a book, but not *I utilized to read many a book. Not even an academic would write or say the latter. (Note: I did not say that the three nouns were the same, I asked if they were. For me all three are quite distinct.)

[fixing typos to reduce stress]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, the utilized to read is the most apparent one, Zmj. The rest, I am not sure of. Bob's example of "use" in a sentence and "usage" in a sentence is interesting. I agree that I wouldn't necessarily say, "The usage of the verb in this sentence is wrong." Yet, could I? Maybe it's just what we get used to (not utilized to!). For example, most people say "Nonsense!" when something is nonsensical. Yet, they could very easily say "Balderdash!" We just don't use "balderdash" so much and therefore aren't accustomed to it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, yes I'm sure you could

If you wanted to sound snooty