Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Word for the air bubble in an egg.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word for the air bubble in an egg. Login/Join

posted
Im pretty sure there is a latin/greek name for the airspace in an egg (birds egg).

Does anyone know if I am right?

Posts: 7 | Location: BritainReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fluent in Lies:
Im pretty sure there is a latin/greek name for the airspace in an egg (birds egg).

Does anyone know if I am right?

I've had a google and I've found several sites about birds' eggs, including this which tells you everything you need to know (and a lot more) about avian reproduction but, although there's two extremely detailed diagrams and several paragraphs of explanation of egg structure, it doesn't give a specific name to the air sac - at least as far as I can see.

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
It's a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, the technical terms air cell and air sac are both used for the space in the egg, but also for spaces inside the bird, connected to the lungs. In the latter sense another synonym is alveolus.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Seeking symmetrical, balanced equilibrium between the aviary and the apiary ... or the birds and BEES

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the latter sense another synonym is alveolus.

Interesting, aput. In humans the "alveoli" are the air sacs in the lungs.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly what I found is air cell. I found one site, and only one, that called it Follicula aëris.

quote:
I. TESTA OVI (Putamen ovi, Egg-shell) is composed chiefly of calcium carbonate (89 to 97 per cent), calcium and magnesium phosphate (0.5 to 5 per cent), magnesium carbonate (0 to 2 per cent), and organic substance (2 to 5 per cent). The carbonate of calcium renders the shell absorbent and antacid. The albuminous membrane (Pellicula ovi, Membrana putaminis) which lines the inner surface of the shell, is a keratin- (horn) like substance, soluble in alkalies, from which solution it is precipitated by acids. At the broad end of the egg it forms an air space, the Follicula aëris .

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Follicula aëris

Thanks very much tinman, everyone.

Posts: 7 | Location: BritainReply With QuoteReport This Post