Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock as a verb Login/Join

posted
Lately I see "news lite" headlines saying such things as, "Cunegonde Kumsplat rocks her bikini."
What the heck are these teenagers talking about?

I've stated here previously that for me communication is impossible, since I'm unable to toss aside meanings that were valid a year ago and replace them with current ones, which may or may not be valid in another year.
Might I assume that this is one such example?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well no-one has ever "explained: rock to me in this usage and I've never looked it up but I have absolutely no trouble understanding it from context. Surprised that anyeone does.

Keep rockin' those linguistics.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here's one definition from the internet. note number seven.

rock (rɒk)
vb
1. to move or cause to move from side to side or backwards and forwards

2. to reel or sway or cause (someone) to reel or sway, as with a violent shock or emotion

3. (tr) to shake or move (something) violently

4. (Dancing) (intr) to dance in the rock-and-roll style

5. (Mining & Quarrying) mining to wash (ore) or (of ore) to be washed in a cradle

6. (Art Terms) (tr) to roughen (a copper plate) with a rocker before engraving a mezzotint

7. (tr) US to impress by wearing (an item of clothing) or playing (a musical instrument): She can still rock a miniskirt; He rocks a guitar like nobody's business.

8. rock the boat to create a disturbance in the existing situation

n

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitions 1,4, and 8 I was familiar with. #7 seems plucked out of thin air. I cannot understand how it came to be.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's clearly just an extension of the slang term "you rock" which itself comes from "the music rocks".

I'm speculating but I'd say the idea of music "rocking" comes from the motions involved in dancing.

It isn't even a slightly obscure termt. I'm surprised it's bothering you.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Did "rock" mean "dancing" before rock music?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's from rock music's ancestor, rhythm and blues, where it meant "to dance to popular music with a strong beat". See rock (v.2).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

I'm speculating but I'd say the idea of music "rocking" comes from the motions involved in dancing.

I've seen many references to its origins as being the rocking of one's pelvis during coitus. If so, then my original example would suggest an invitation of the bikini-clad woman to copulate. Am I being too literal?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I being too literal?

Yes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, rock-a my soul

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I being too literal?

Yes.

And yet, arnie, this is from etymology.com: "action of rocking; a movement to and fro," 1823, from rock (v.1)."

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yet, arnie, this is from etymology.com: "action of rocking; a movement to and fro," 1823, from rock (v.1)."

But there exists a "rock (v.2)". You're not trying to say that all the meanings of every verb apply equally, are you?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're not trying to say that all the meanings of every verb apply equally, are you?
No, but that one meaning applies, and that was the question.