Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "Ringer": polls #3 and #4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ringer": polls #3 and #4 Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted

Question:
Continuing what was stated elsewhere: "We understand the concept of a ringer in sports. If an 11-year old golfer misrepresents his age to enter a tournament for boys 10 and under, he has an unfair advantage, and he is a ringer.

But I'd like your input on a usage question that arose while preparing a future theme. The dictionary definitions seem to be to be a bit off. Without consulting a dictionary, take a look at the two cases listed below, and two more listed here. In which of them would you say that there's a ringer?
"

To boost school spirit, the women teachers challenge the men teachers to a women-vs.-men basketball game to be played before the students, losers to undergo some suitable harmless-but-amusing humiliation before the students. The men accept the challenge.

#3: In fact, one of the women had been a star player in college a few years ago. The women knew of that when they issued the challenge but, knowing that the men were unaware, chose not to mention it. After all, they reasoned, the men could ask! Is that star woman a ringer in the contest?

#4: In fact, one of the men had been a star player in college a few years ago. The men knew of that when they accepted the challenge but, knowing that the women were unaware, chose not to mention it. After all, they reasoned, it's not their fault that the women issued a foolish challenge without checking the competition! Is that star man a ringer in the contest?

Choices:
Yes, in each case
No, in each case
Yes to #3; No to #4
No to #3; Yes to #4

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I hate to admit that I am the one who voted 'no' to # 3 and 'yes' to # 4, but, let's face it... most men are better at basketball than women are. If one man had been a star in college that would be a lot different from a woman being a star. He is definitely a ringer, though I see that so far no one agrees with me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I see a "ringer" as being a participant who isn't who he/she is claimed to be. In neither of these cases has a claim been made so there is no ringer. If the scenario had been a challenge that was specifically phrased with "and he, no professionals allowed, OK?" then you could claim a ringer was being substituted.

As for steraiod use (in the other thread) that's just cheating - again no ringer involved.

If you expand the definition of ringer to include all four secenarios (I only included one on the other thread and neither here) then do you expand it to include all forms of cheating?

Am I ringer if I put a stone in my opponents shoe? Am I a ringer if put sleeping tablets in his water bottle?

Of course not. Ringer isn't just a synonym for cheat. It's someone pretending to be someone or something that they are not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But, Bob, that male basketball star purposely didn't tell the women about his being a basketball star, and, let's face it, a male basketball star in a women's game will mean the game (sorry women!). The woman star probably won't make that much difference anyway. I stand by my vote of the man, not the woman, being the ringer. I agree with you about the use of steroids. That's just plain cheating.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, Bob, that male basketball star _purposely_ didn't tell the women about his being a basketball star,

Morally wrong? Certainly.
Cheating? Most likely.
A ringer? Not by any definition of the word that I'd use. Now if they'd taken out one of their players and introduced a pro player from the league or even if they had taken out one of their players and introduced a particularly good player from another school in his place that would be a ringer.

(Incidentally I'd say with certainty that whatever is true for case for logically has to be true for case three. Sauce for the goose etc.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post